Hello Guest it is April 24, 2024, 02:20:33 AM

Author Topic: serial port ?  (Read 3324 times)

Offline nige

•  23 23
  • feel the force
    • View Profile
serial port ?
« on: November 24, 2007, 10:15:54 AM »
hello chaps
hi ive just swapped pc's and the pc i want to use only has 9pi serial port besides usb's can i use the 9 pin jobby ?? i just searched for posts but the ones ive found appear to in double dutch ..or geekspeak..he he ....
please can somone tell me how to configure the prog through the 9 pin port ??..that has a 25 pin adapter on it to the machine..
and/or is it possible to run through the usb with a converter
do i need to reassign the pins?...

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: serial port ?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 12:39:20 PM »
You will need to get a PCI parallel port card, the serial or USB are no use to you for running Mach. Welll thats not strictly true as the serial can be used for MODbus and the USB will be used by the smooth stepper board which is being tested, but for your application your only option is a PCI Parallel port card.
Hood

Offline nige

•  23 23
  • feel the force
    • View Profile
Re: serial port ?
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 02:01:02 PM »
thanks  hood
at least i know which way to go ..so its off to cpc then :D. thanks very much matey thats a great help and a lot off me plate
the boss is convinced he can do it by altering the com settings and resetting the pins mind you he spent two hours today trying to configure a camera with no drivers ..in and out of wizards with  me saying d-o-w-n-l-o-a-d the drivers from sweex every ten minutes
then low and behold he produces the disk from his desk......!!!!!//////?????? ::) ::) ::)