Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:13:06 AM

Author Topic: MACH3 Control motors briefly then nothing  (Read 3214 times)

MACH3 Control motors briefly then nothing
« on: February 04, 2014, 07:07:12 PM »
Hi, i am running mach3 on a windows 7 32bit machine controlling a 3-axis using the Toshiba tb6560. I previously used this device and has been working fine but recently ive been having troubles communicating with the controller, after I disconnected the board to connect the controller to a better power supply with a higher current capability. It is a 24v supply. I have found that if i boot up Mach3 i can use the motor tuning to run one of the motors for around 3-4 buttons presses before it will cease to send any more signals.
I will have to restart Mach3 to enable me to get any axis to move just for the same few buttons presses again until they all just stop again and it just fails to move anything any more. Only the y-axis and z-axis move the x-axis still refuses to move. All the ports and pins are set-up correctly as I haven't changed them from the last time i used it. The manual control for the controller works fine meaning the motor connections are correctly connected. Has anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
Re: MACH3 Control motors briefly then nothing
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 10:22:27 PM »
Not sure but perhaps the tb6560 does not like 24V?
Nicolas
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 10:33:07 PM »
The tb6560 states 24v is a valid input voltage i dont see why it would be an issue. I have an old 36v with lower current supply ill test it.
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 11:28:18 PM »
I tried the old 36v power supply with no luck. It seems to be a error in the communication from Mach3 to the controller. The x-axis still refuses to move but i can hear the motor trying to move. On both power supplies i can feel the motor jolting like its trying to turn but not enough power.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 03:37:50 AM »
Disconnect the parallel port cable from the TB and test with a scope as you jog the axes in Mach and you should see the pulses quite clearly. If you do not  have a scope it is possible to use a volt meter although you will not get a clear idea of how good the pulse stream is. To use the volt meter just set it to 5v and connect between a step pin and a gnd pin and jog the axis, depending on whether you have active high or low set you will see a change in voltage as you jog. It will not be a big change in voltage but it will either drop slightly or increase slightly.
You will likely have to change the active state of your E-Stop pin so that you can get Mach out of Reset for doing this test.

Hood