Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:03:35 AM

Author Topic: Z Axis Settings  (Read 2515 times)

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
Z Axis Settings
« on: February 02, 2014, 02:19:35 PM »
For my 1st cut in MDF I made a 16”x16” square with an inscribed circle, hexagon and a triangle. I made a gcode for each one of these shapes and started to cut the square. Before the cut I used the auto zero button and now the DRO’s read x=0, y=o, z=+1.0000

The square cut was completed and the machine returned to origin ready for the next cut. The DRO’s now read x=0, y-0, Z=-0.0000.

Since I started cutting the square and the Z was at +1.0000 I was not sure if I should continue to cut or auto zero the Z again and decide to auto zero for all the remaining cuts (circle, hexagon and triangle.

Should I have continue the cuts without auto zeroing each time before the next cuts or it was good  to auto zero the Z again before the next cut?

I attach the circle gcode and the script for the auto zero
Nicolas

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
Re: Z Axis Settings
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 10:45:28 AM »
Perhaps my question is silly but when it comes to Z axis settings I would rather be safe than sorry.

I’m not an expert reading gcode or scripts and my question is when I finish my first cut and the DRO’s read x=0, y=0, z=0, is it safe to restart my next cut or the z will plunge through my table?
Nicolas
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 10:54:16 AM »
Nicolas,
Only you can determine what is best for you, but with experience you will be able to improve your cnc operations.  I trust my system and often make multiple pieces without re-zeroing.  If a piece finishes with no problems, I know I have not lost positioning.

Pushing feed rates to the absolute maximum is often a way to assure problems.  I try to set my axis velocity and acceleration values at about 75% of where my steppers stall during setup tuning.  YMMV.

Best Regards,
John Champlain 

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 11:51:58 AM »
Your script tells the Z to go to +1 when you auto zero, and your g-code tell the Z to go to 0.00 when it finishes. As long as you don't need a different Z zero, then you should be OK.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 01:30:42 PM »
Thanks Gerry, I was not sure before but now I am
Nicolas