Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:42:05 AM

Author Topic: Controling servo motors and encoder support  (Read 3244 times)

Controling servo motors and encoder support
« on: November 16, 2012, 10:20:49 PM »
Hi All
I am updating my system from: Mach3 software driven  4axis stepper motor controller through the parallel port. The motion board connects directly to the steppermotors. As you can guess it has limited inputs and outputs.  I want to still run Mach3 and I don't know to what type of board? USB would be great but Ethernet would be good too. I need to connect to Advanced Motion analog servo drivers that will connect to 24vdc brushless servo motors. The drivers use -10v to+10v analog inputs for direction and speed. The motors also have 5V A+ A- , B+ B- absolute encoders that I would like Mach3 to use in its diplays. I don't know if I need just a good breakout board and let Mach3 do all the move work or do I need a motion control board to? My steppers work good but I am always afraid of motor stall while the system still thinks it is moving.
Than You All
old-seabee

Offline cfell

•  27 27
    • View Profile
Re: Controling servo motors and encoder support
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 09:27:07 AM »
I can’t tune Gecko G320X drives to operate mystery motors from an early PlasmaCam CNC.  Gecko service has suggested they may be too low an inductance. There is a you-tube video where someone is controlling Go-Torch motors (same as current production PlasmaCam. My motors can be commanded if I set gain to minimum but there is no stable point where they will sit idle.  It bothers me that the motors don’t have replaceable brushes.

Has anyone figured out how to operate these motors using Mach? What are you using for drivers? Yes I have the encoder bypass capacitor installed.

Appreciate any suggestions.