Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 04:21:42 PM

Author Topic: Wiring suggestions  (Read 3185 times)

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
Wiring suggestions
« on: December 28, 2013, 01:26:23 AM »
I'm wiring my cnc control panel and I wonder if it is a good practice to install a capacitor in all limits and home wiring. The cables are all shielded

Perhaps it is better to wait and see if I have noise and then install a capacitor?

And the shield on the stepper motor cables? Should I connect it to earth ground?

Nicolas

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: Wiring suggestions
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 09:35:08 PM »
You can find some pretty good guide lines at this link.

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,25616.0.html

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 10:47:55 PM »
Thanks Brett, excellent info
Nicolas

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 10:52:15 PM »
And the shield on the stepper motor cables? Should I connect it to earth ground?

Envision EMI or noise as snow falling to the ground. It's every where but mostly it's comming from a source / sky above.
If one wanted to run a wire through the falling snow and make sure it didn't get wet or  snow on it you could have the wire
inside of a round hollow metal tube.The tube "shields" what is inside from the outside and also keeps what's inside from
going outside the tube. No leaks inside or outside.
Not all shields are equal as some have just an open weave of stranded wire or another may have not only the wire
 weave / briade but also a continous layer of metalic wrapped around the inside wires. Thus shielded wire can be water
proof or water resistant ...so to speak. Now note that what is inside can't mix with what is outside due to shielding,
 but if you have naise on the wires to begin with and put them in a tube you will have that noise when the wire the wires exit.
In fact they may get the wires wet if it sticks or mixes with the insulation on the wires....coupling / mixing / etc ....

So a good quality 100% shielded wire of which the shield is connected back at the beginning of the run ( control box ) and
 just left covering at the end ( stepper side ). The shield at the control box is connected to a EMI / RF / easy separate path ground
system which can go to earth ground. ie; You don't tie the shield to say a ground used for a circuit.

Now back at the control panel, should the outside conduit get wet, or the inside wire, the "water" will flow the easiest path to ground
via it's separate path.

Note that wires from the contoller provide a conductive pathe for a pulse stream to the steppers and is rather low in frequency or a single frequency. Noise is a group of frequencies which make no sense.
A pulse stream _-_-_-_- as compared to noise |||||||||||||||||||| which varing in intensity and frequency.
Said differently, the pulse stream may actualy make sense to ones hearing if put to a speaker  where the noise signal would not be
understood by our hearing. Mix the two together together and you would have a poopy  radio station that  your trying to listen to
and you can't do anything sometimes to improve the radio reception.

One can envision the water in the inside tube as maybe being realy slow flowing, and we want to keep it that way,
while the water on the outside tube is fast movng and we do not want the fast and slow moving water to mix.

Thus we want to keep the signal path inside the shield from mixing with any other signals whereby they ( noise)
 dosen't tag along or mix with signals of the inside wires.

A number of mixed analogies and hopefully you get the intent,  ;)

RICH

Offline mark4

•  167 167
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 11:21:50 PM »
hi
just for my 2 cents a .1 microfarad capacitor on all inputs cant hurt and can help so i always install on critical inputs such as limit switches
and usually on all other inputs. if somebody has a different scheme or idea please inform
thank you mark

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 01:14:13 AM »
Thank you RICH and Mark for your time, very good info
Nicolas