Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 04:16:17 AM

Author Topic: USB Gamepad Question  (Read 2756 times)

USB Gamepad Question
« on: December 27, 2013, 04:56:53 PM »
I have hooked up my gamepad to use in Mach 3. I used keygrabber to set the 3 axis, but I only get XY movement. How do I get the Z axis to respond? Also, the movement is slow. How can I get the travel to rapid movement? Do I need to assign different button for rapid movement like the shift key on a keyboard? If so, how do I go about setting that up?
Re: USB Gamepad Question
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 11:49:14 PM »
Well, I have been searching for information and I found what I think is an important issue that is the key to understanding how to program the gamepad in Keygrabber. I was trying to set button functions by pressing a button on the gamepad and then clicking on the highlighted line in Keygrabber with the mouse causing the pop up menu to appear. I would then choose "special keys" and pick a function from the list. It did not work for me. I finally realized after reading several postings, that it was necessary to press a keyboard key that corresponded to a function that worked in Mach3 instead of picking from the list. By pressing a keyboard key such as Page Dn, it will put the correct information on the highlighted line. After doing that, and saving the configuration, my gamepad would work like the keyboard when Mach3 was loaded. If I pressed the gamepad button that I used for Page Dn, the Z axis would slow feed down. I was able to assign the other buttons to control the X and Y axis and also set a button for SHIFT so I could move the axis in rapid speed also. I even set a button for Ctrl, and was able to move the axis in increments. If people just realize the necessity of using keyboard keys to input settings into Keygrabber, then the rest of the process becomes easier to understand. I still have not set everything to work exactly as I want, but I think I can experiment using this proceedure to work the bugs out.
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 09:15:44 AM »
Dear Wade

Using a gamepad as jog control seems promising. Do you mind beeing more specific, and mentioning the links to where you looked to?

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 01:23:30 PM »
I just Googled Mach3 Gamepad to find information. I am attatching some Keygrabber tips to follow.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 01:37:00 PM by wade16 »