Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:01:02 AM

Author Topic: ORAC Spindle Swarf Blaster®  (Read 6168 times)

ORAC Spindle Swarf Blaster®
« on: January 11, 2015, 10:45:13 AM »
I did some small diameter (4.5mm) boring work recently using a 4mm carbide boring bar and the stringy swarf kept jamming up in the tiny hole & screwing up some of the parts. I stuck my air nozzle up the back end of the spindle & gave it a blast occasionally & it solved the problem. I got to thinking about it & whipped out this little adapter which works a lot better. The part that sticks in the spindle bore is acetal and seals up great with little friction.  It’s easily removable when long stock needs to go in the spindle.  The foot pedal allows the hands to be free for other things…like slapping the e-stop button.;)  A few taps of the toe blasts the swarf away instantly!  I’m looking around for an oiler I can plumb in to add some cutting oil mist to the blast as well.  I could also add an air solenoid & let Mach control it but I kinda like the toe-tappin’ thing.:)

Milton from Tennessee ya'll.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: ORAC Spindle Swarf Blaster®
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 11:33:41 AM »
Excellent solution - I like that idea.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 01:45:44 PM »
Get that linked to a m-code :D

Nice idea :)

Hood
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 02:21:53 PM »
Get that linked to a m-code :D

Nice idea :)
Thanks!  I'm out of inputs  but was thinking about putting a toggle switch on the coolant pump relay output so I could manually switch over to air blast before starting an internal turning job.  Probably not going to happen soon though.  As usual, I've been on a "make-stuff-for-the machine" tangent and have fallen way behind on the stuff I've promised to do for others.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 07:50:08 PM »
Would be an output but your idea of a toggle switch would be a good one if out of outputs as well.
Hood
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 08:19:24 PM »
Would be an output but your idea of a toggle switch would be a good one if out of outputs as well.
Dohh, I meant to say output!  It's been one of those days.
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 06:15:39 AM »
That's slick! Video of it working?
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 11:11:40 AM »
Thanks!  It's working very well.  Since the original post, I made an adapter to hook up a hose to the end of the adapter when it's not in the spindle so I can use the pedal for blowing chips off collets, tool holders, etc.

I have no videos to show unfortunately.  My video Kung Fu is severely lacking which is sad as I still have all my amateur video gear from the 80's.  A big ol' Panasonic prosumer 3 chip camera with a huge hunk of glass on the front, portable S-VHS deck, couple Anton Bauer 5 AH NiCd packs, Panasonic prosumer editing deck & controller, Amiga 2000HD with genlock, etc, etc  but it's all in boxes and probably wouldn't work even if I had the equipment needed to digitize & upload the now way out of date & low res images.:(  I'm hoping someday there'll be a revival in video gear kinda like tube amps & vinyl records so I'll be able to unload all this "vintage" equipment for a huge profit.

Methinks it's time to look around & find myself a cheap but reliable HD camera & learn some new software.