Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 04:51:47 AM

Author Topic: Parallel Port Problem  (Read 5156 times)

Parallel Port Problem
« on: December 02, 2013, 06:51:28 AM »
Hi All,
        I have just upgraded my computer system due to blue screen problems. The only problem now is that I can not get any signals
to my CNC machine (previously working OK).
    I think that the problem is that the new computer did not come with a parallel port, so the supplier added a PCI Express Parallel
Adapter Card. Needless to say I can not get the system to work. If i understand it correctly i need to put the card address into the
config on Mach3? Can anyone help with how to find the address and how to correct the problem?

Many thanks
Roy

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Parallel Port Problem
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 07:20:48 AM »
You need to get the address and enter that into the space in Ports and Pins page (for port 1 most likely)
T get the address you will need to look in the ports properties in device manager.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 08:01:49 AM »
Hi Hood,
            Many thanks for your reply and help. I have changed the config setting to
E010 as in my Resourse Settings but it has no effect. In the Diagnostics page I am
getting Simulate in the Pulse Frequency Box, I am thinking that signals are not getting
through. Any other ideas?
Regards
Roy

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 09:09:12 AM »
Ok that means either you do not have the driver loaded or you have chosen to simulate rather than chosing the parallel port. First thing to do is go to Function Configs menu and choose Reset Device Select.
Next close Mach and go to ythe Mach3 folder on your drive and double click the drivertest.exe and let it run through.
That will install the driver if it hadnt already been installed.
Next open Mach and you will get the option to choose the parallel port driver and that should be you.

Only one other thing, it has to be a 32bit operating system for the parallel port driver so if you have win7 or vista or W8 and it is the 64bit version you wont be able to use the parallel port.

Hood
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 09:18:08 AM »
Hi Hood,
           You have identified the problem for me. I purchased a new computer system which is a
64 bit machine, this is therefore a big problem which i was unaware of.  Is there any way i can
use the parallel port on this machine? Or is there any work around to solve this?

Regards
Roy

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 10:25:59 AM »
Most computers, if not all, sold today they come pre loaded with Windows 8. As i understand Mach does not work with Windows 8. Perhaps you can install windows 7, Vista or XP?
Nicolas
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 10:35:12 AM »
Hi Kolias,
             I purchased my new computer and had Windows 7 put on it as I anticipated a problem,
what I did not expect was that the parallel port would not work on a 64 bit OS.
I can not see a way out of this as all new computers are 64 bit as I understand it.

Regards
Roy

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 11:55:36 AM »
Most computers, if not all, sold today they come pre loaded with Windows 8. As i understand Mach does not work with Windows 8. Perhaps you can install windows 7, Vista or XP?

Mach works fine with Windows 8. The problem is with the parallel port driver. The solution is to use an external motion control board like the SmoothStepper, CSMSIO, etc.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 12:05:06 PM »
Many thanks for your help Jeff.

Best Regards
Roy

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 01:50:35 PM »
You may be able to get W7 32 bit loaded instead but personally I would go the external controller route.
My preference now is CSMIO products as they are more industrial oriented but if you have been set up with the parallel port then the Ethernet SmoothStepper would be a good choice as its basically plug and play as it mimics the parallel port pinouts and has 3 ports.

Hood