Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 03:51:12 AM

Author Topic: Another Turn Tool Table question  (Read 3539 times)

Another Turn Tool Table question
« on: November 20, 2013, 02:25:11 PM »
I have my tool table set up pretty well now and the diameters I ask Mach to give me come out pretty close as I change amongst the various tools.  For whatever reason; metal type, me, the machine, alignment of the planets, etc. the work will occasionally come out under or oversize more than I'd like.

If the work comes out oversize by say .004", and Mach is set up in the Diameter mode, do I change the X Offset by .004" or .002" in the Tool Table Editor?  Subtract the correct value or add it?
Milton from Tennessee ya'll.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Another Turn Tool Table question
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 04:22:35 PM »
If it is oversize you would add the 0.004 to the wear offset, if under you would subtract.
Reason I say add and subtract is because there may already be a value there so entering 0.004 would give you a false diameter. As an example you ask for 2 inch dia and you find it is 2.004. Now if the wear offset had previously been set to say 0.002 and you simply set it to 0.004 when you took the next cut you would be 0.002 oversize as you have not adjusted by the full amount it was oversize.
The easiest way to adjust the wear offsets, I think, is to type directly into the wear offset DRO.
I am not sure if you are aware but you can do simple arithmetic in DROs, for example if you take the above, your DRO has 0.002 in it and you are still 0.004 oversize, so you would click the DRO then enter +0.004 and when you press enter the DRO will have +0.006 in it.
 You can not directly subtract however, but you can add a negative number, so if your wear offset DRO had 0.002 in it and your size was 0.004 under you would click the wear DRO and enter + - 0.004 and that would give you -0.002.

You can also divide and multiply into DROs although in this case that would not be suitable.

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 04:35:39 PM »
Oh one thing I should also mention, this may depend on the version of Mach you have, for example Version 066 has many screw ups and one of them is the wear offset DROs are in Radius mode, so you would have to enter double the value. I would however suggest if you do have Ver 066 that you go back to a previous version as there are also other issues with it and I have said many times it should be removed from the download page or at the very least a warning should be put beside it.

Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 05:04:16 PM »
Making me think..........

The x tool offset dimension relative to the master tool ( which has no offsets ) is in terms of radius even if you are in diameter mode.
Machine coordinates display in terms of radius even if you are in diameter mode. Part coordinates display in terms of the X mode you are in, so the part dro
would show twice that of the machine coordinates. So change the offset by 1/2 the amount you are off.
Could be worng and need to actualy check ;)

Hey Hood,
I never used the wear offsets....so they do work?

RICH

« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 05:05:55 PM by RICH »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 05:11:17 PM »
Hey Hood,
I never used the wear offsets....so they do work?

RICH

Yes they work very well (unless using Ver 066 in Dia ;)  )
I always use them when doing a job for the first time, I will set the finish tool to have a -0.2mm or so offset and then will have a M1 after the finish pass, I will then measure and see what I actually have and will then add or subtract from the wear offset DRO and run the finish pass again. Next part will be on size :)
Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 05:40:06 PM »
Thanks Hood and need to give the wear offsets a try.

I need to be carefull, since like yourself,  I don't use the normal screen but a modified one.

Dickeybird,
What I posted in reply #3 is correct. My screen has buttons which allow for selection of what is shown in the DR0 display. So all i need to do is click a button and they will change ie; Machine, Part, Program.  
The standard screen has Axis Position above the DRO's in the manual screen and what is displayed is mode dependant. So the tool offset value in the tool table  is in terms of radius and what is displayed is diameter.

RICH  

« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 05:46:42 PM by RICH »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 05:52:47 PM »
I never adjust the tool table manually, I just use the DROs/buttons in my screenset to do it as they are better at maths than me :) The standard screen has these same DROs and buttons.
Hood
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 02:20:08 PM »
Thanks all.  I'm using v.057 as I'm skeert to move up to anything else until something comes up that it won't do right. ::)

Been using the wear offsets successfully but wanted to update the main X offset box instead to keep things straight in my dim little world.  I suspected it was in the radius mode but wasn't sure.  I'll be glad when I've put enough hours in with this thing that it's learned my way of thinking. ;D
Milton from Tennessee ya'll.