Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 09:12:48 AM

Author Topic: X Axis missing steps  (Read 5260 times)

X Axis missing steps
« on: November 29, 2013, 02:46:57 PM »
ok so the story goes, I have a denford triac, had it for about a year now. been upgrading the electronics as and when I can afford it and current I have a smooth stepper and PMDX-126 installed. the machine has been fully converted to mach3 with mach standard mill screen set

not that im suggesting the electronics are the cause but

a few months ago the x axis started playing up, when going full speed it was missing steps and you could hear the table making a donk donk donk noise when doing a g00 command. did a little bit of faffing with the machine and thought the stepper motor was like 15 years old it probably just needs replacing, so I got an identical replacement and all was well.

then about a month later the x axis started playing up again and started missing steps, which is strange as the stepper was brand new. now the stepper motor is this one -

http://astrosyn.com/section.php/55/1/my34hy_series_1_8

I got the smallest one as my drive cards only gives out a max of 2amps.

the stepper is an 8 wire stepper but the machine only have a connection for 4 wires, I wired the new stepper exactly the same as the old one, only using 4 wires/coils. I cant have damaged the stepper as its rated for 3.1amp and the card only gives out 2amps.

so as a test I wired the other 4 coils in that I hadn't been using and it worked fine, it stop skipping steps. then a few days later bang missing steps again and the table is making a donking noise.

I tested everything in the control cabinet and I cannot get this issue to happen on the y axis. someone has mentioned that there are some debounce settings in the smooth stepper.

can anyone give me any info about these settings and where are they, could they help solve my problem

this vid 10 seconds in you can just about hear the problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3rFml6VkYg
Re: X Axis missing steps
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 08:03:22 AM »
A stepper that needs 3.1 amps is not going to work well with only 2/3s the amps.  Likely a little extra friction in your x axis is more than your current-limited stepper can handle.   Try reducing your velocity and acceleration settings 25%.
John Champlain
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 08:09:07 AM by Picengraver »