Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:53:58 AM

Author Topic: CNC Plasma setu.p  (Read 2941 times)

CNC Plasma setu.p
« on: November 04, 2013, 11:33:32 AM »
I am setting up a CNC Plasma machine and am unsure of the best way to handle two items.  I have tried looking them up on the forum and not found what I am looking for.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The first is how to handle an 'OK to move' signal.  My plasma controller system contains a set of contacts that close once plasma torch is on and functioning properly. if for some reason the arch fails these contacts open to stop movement until the torch is functioning properly.  What I am unsure about is how do I interface this with Mach to work properly and in a way that is consistent with the operation of other plasma machines?

The second item has to do with raising and lowering the head.  On my machine the head is raised or lowered by an air cylinder.  Though I could use coolant pump circuit to implement this,I would prefer to integrate it into the code that starts and stops the torch head. Do I accomplish this through a macro, a brains file, or some other way.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: CNC Plasma setu.p
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 11:39:34 AM »
You bring your signal IN as the Arc OK signal. You set it up in ports and pins.

You can modify and use the M3 and M5 macro to activate your air cylinder. M3 is the macro that turns ON the spindle M5 turns it off.

(;-) TP
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 11:49:03 AM »
By Arc OK do you mean THC On input signal?

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 01:11:06 PM »
Yes that would be correct as the mach3 naming convention is not very well implimented.

(;-) TP

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 04:29:29 PM »
I am really new to this CNC stuff. I plan to use my plasma cutter for hobby stuff. I am however having problems getting it running. I have followed the tutorial to configure it and I cannot get the motors to move. At the risk of sending someone down the wrong path I think it might be in parallel port setup. Does it matter if my computer thinks it is on LPT 3 instead of LPT 1? I have a geometric robotics machine I purchased off Ebay.