Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 10:37:49 AM

Author Topic: 3D Milling problem  (Read 2458 times)

3D Milling problem
« on: October 23, 2013, 07:11:47 PM »
Hi
I have a home built cnc router. This is about the fifth or sixth table I have built it’s a solid built table. It is mostly constructed out of aluminum and steel. I use acme threaded rod 4 turn per inch double start. I am using a kelinginc motors and drivers. The computer I’m using is a old a HP work station with a 3.8 GHz processor, 2GHz ram, windows XP, and a 1 GHz video card. My machine runs easily at 200 ipm.   The problem I am having is I can’t seem to run large 3D files. Small 3D files 3”x3” work just fine, large V carve work well. What is happening when I get well in to the carving my machine will plunge the bit too deep in to the carving. Even if I slow my router down to 60 ipm I get this same type of crash. It just takes longer for it to happen.    
   My suspicion is that the Kelinginc drivers just are not up to the task. Has anyone had this problem? Any suggestions on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated. 

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: 3D Milling problem
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 07:27:30 PM »
Reduce the Z axis acceleration by 50%. What is it currently set at?

Also, make sure the screw is well lubricated.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 10:14:50 PM »
I generally don't have to much of a problem with my z axis it is Teflon coated screw with a Delron lead nut. I did a test carving at x and y at 60 ipm and z at 20 imp. I managed to get most of a 8"x8" carving at .4" depth before my machine crashed. I did a 3"x 3" carving at .25" depth at x and y 120 imp and z set at 60 ipm with no issue.  I will double check that the z axis runs smooth. Maybe one of my bearing is starting to seize up.
Thanks.
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 02:16:22 PM »
ger21 seems your were right after rebuilding my z axis the problem seems to be solved.