Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:44:14 PM

Author Topic: Ideas for a new opertion- End Cut  (Read 3703 times)

Ideas for a new opertion- End Cut
« on: October 23, 2013, 03:36:39 PM »
In the discussion about the rectangle operation it occurred that an end  cutoff wizard might be useful. This would be for the case of putting stock that was cut on a bandsaw in the vise, then making a couple passes across the end of the stock, moving in the Y direction.

My thought is to have a screen with 4 inputs, Xstart, Xend, Ystart, Yend The right side- the Z inputs would have Ztop, Zdepth and maybe a Zstep.

The operations main cut loop would be from Ystart to Y end- this allows either climb or conventional. If multiple steps are need to Get to X end This cut loop would be repeated.

Some questions,

Do I need to allow multiple steps down in Z to reach full depth?
Do I need to make multiple steps in x to get to Xend?
Do I do the X cuts first, then step down in Z, or do I do Z first, then a X step and again do Z to depth.
Should I make the final cut at full depth in Z, to Xend and at a depth of cut of a finish amount?

I guess the first question is "Is this a useful operation"

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas for a new opertion- End Cut
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 04:34:27 PM »
HIYA RON,

" guess the first question is "Is this a useful operation" "

HUM not really as the finished product that you are machining should account for that rough end.

BUT why not (;-) You have it all correct

Main cut loop Ystart Yend
Infeed loop Xstart Xend

Top down Z start Z end

Make it all a multistep process for the little ones(machines)

Just a thought, (;-) TP

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 10:36:58 PM »
I like the idea, but why limit it to a Y motion end cut? Allow one to do the same thing in X.

Rational: Motion in X- I could use it to cut a keyway in a shaft for instance. Or trim something that was easier to hold in the vice allowing for X motion rather than Y motion.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 11:27:56 PM »
Normally the X has the longest section of the table to support the longer materials, thus Y is the best choice to end cut.

We already have a keyway wizard to cut keyways.

(;-) TP