Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 10:21:29 AM

Author Topic: Computurn lathe getting an update hopefully  (Read 3305 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Computurn lathe getting an update hopefully
« on: November 02, 2013, 03:41:54 PM »
I am planning on updating the controller on the Computurn lathe to a CSMIO/IP-A at some point.
It uses the ESS at the moment and although it works well for the most part there are a few niggles that are unlikely to be fixed and also I would like to have the advantages that come with DROs being updated directly from encoder positions, the CSMIO/IP-A can do that :)

The only reason I have not updated before now is I do a lot of threading on the lathe. The CSMIO’s thread exceptionally well but the pull out at the end of the thread is delayed and you get an annular groove. This is not acceptable on most of the parts I do :(
 It seems it is a Mach issue rather than a CSMIO issue and it will supposedly be fixed in Mach4, just Mach4 Turn will be a while  after Mach4 Mill is out :(
If Mach4 does not solve the issue I am fairly confident that CS-Lab will implement the threading directly into the controller, as they have done with rigid tapping and it works very well indeed.

Anyway I have been doing some drawings of the cabinet and wiring. At the moment my cabinet is full and I have to have my spindle drive and turret drive outside the main cabinet however with the new setup I will be able to get them into the main cabinet which is a good thing.

I plan to have a button that starts the computer on my control panel, this will start up the computers power supply (via the motherboard connection) and I will use one of the molex connectors to power the coil of a small relay. That relay will operate the coil of the main contactor which will then power the 24v system and hardware such as the CSMIO, PLC, servo drives  logic circuit  etc.
I will then have a Start/Stop button via a safety module, like on my Chiron (see pic) which will bring in the contactors to power the servo drives main circuits and also things like coolant pumps, lights etc.

I will have a second PNOZ module that will get its power from the first one. This will be used for my E-Stop string.

Below are a couple of pics and a couple of pdf’s of my proposed wiring, any comments, good or bad,  welcome ::)
Hood 

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
Re: Computurn lathe getting an update hopefully
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 04:37:11 PM »
Common Hood... comment on your work... ;) You used to do your cabinets and wiring as you go... nice progress now with the 3D model. It takes quite some time to do the models for each module. It sure is nice to visualize it prior to building, but is it really worth time wise?

Dan

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 04:43:04 PM »
Ha ha Dan, if Mach4 Turn was out and working as good as it should, then I wouldnt have been messing around with models etc, I would have been doing my usual wire as I go :D

Hood
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 05:35:43 PM »
I'm still trying to figure out how he has time for work/(make a living)? With the amount of time he is either building something for himself and then on this site helping others with their issues!

Must be those Scottish Highlanders don't eat, sleep or chase.  :-\

He is a machine.  ;D

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 08:46:26 PM »
Sleep is a waste of time :)
Hood