Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 08:33:52 AM

Author Topic: Want to stop feeding if (spindle) motor stop turning  (Read 3084 times)

Want to stop feeding if (spindle) motor stop turning
« on: October 23, 2013, 10:54:16 AM »
Hi, I built a small cnc saw that work with Mach3.

Very rarely, the motor turning the saw will stop when cutting the pipe but the feed on the saw will not stop.

What I would like to do is add something to look at the motor saw rpm and stop the feed if the saw jam.

I can build something but I have no idea on how to monitor the feedback I could get from the saw.

Any help would be greatly appreciate.

Thanks for your time

Jeff
Re: Want to stop feeding if (spindle) motor stop turning
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 01:01:02 PM »
Jeff,

Check out this site: http://www.loadcontrols.com/whatisaloadcontrol/whatisaloadcontrol.html

I used their controls for many years in industrial control applications to do similar to what you seek.
John Champlain 

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 01:10:08 PM »
Here is a macropump I had to look at commanded speed and actual speed of the spindle and if the speed was 10% less it would halt Mach.
http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,11555.msg153337.html#msg153337
Sadly I was unable to use it on the lathe as although it worked fine on its own it would not work when I used Modbus for my PLC :(
Hood

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 03:11:52 PM »
Perhaps a "poor mans" way to do this might be: mount a thin circular disk under or over one of your saw bands pulleys (or on the motor pulley)which ever is easier to do. Have a bunch of "Holes" drilled around the circumference of the disk, at some kind of close interval.
Have a "Prox" switch or other detector that will cycle on/off depending on if a hole is over it or not. It won't matter which,  you will see why.
then bring in that input.........
In a Brain, have that input going to an AND block, and the other leg of the AND block is looking at your Spindle CW LED, then the output of the AND block,
will go to a NON-accumulating timer (you set this time that is the I'm Jammed, value). The output of that goes to the "Stop" or "E-Stop" do button as a terminus.

scott
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 03:14:37 PM by poppabear »
fun times
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 03:20:54 PM »
Thanks a lot guys for your help, will try some of your ideas for sure, for the brain part, not sure I can program it but will give it a try.

Thanks ,

Jeff

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 04:20:26 PM »
You will also have to have a section to monitor if MACH3 is moving then apply the monitor for the spindle other wise IF you are not moving then Mach3 will go into stop and you cannot get out of stop because the Brain will keep you locked out as long as the spindle is not running.

I think I would do it as a macropump it would be much more flexable.

Just a thought, (;-) TP