Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:14:06 AM

Author Topic: MPGs . . . Questions, Questions  (Read 2997 times)

MPGs . . . Questions, Questions
« on: October 08, 2013, 02:30:34 PM »
I have searched and failed to find answers so I'm throwing myself on the mercy of the fine folks on this forum.

I'd like to add either an MPG pendant controller or individual MPG encoders on each axis.
The second option has significant attraction but to be honest I'd settle for anything that gives me a wheel and variable speed rather than a button with the selected jog speed.
If an encoder for each axis is a realistic option that would be fantastic as it would make CNC conversion of my Emco FB-2 based manual benchtop mill a practical project providing me with a comparatively huge envelope for CNC whilst maintaining manual capability and feel,
Any recommendations gratefully received,
Regards,
Nick

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: MPGs . . . Questions, Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 03:34:26 AM »
It all depends on the controller you are using, for example if you are using the parallel port you may be limited to the amount of spare inputs you have (at least two required for a MPG) you could of course add a second parallel port which will give you extra inputs. If using an external controller then your inputs will likely be more but it will depend on the controller as to how you can fit a MPG to it.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 06:22:01 AM »
Hood,
I plan to stick with parallel port to keep things simple and ensure continued compatibility when changing controllers etc.

I have a good tested spare parallel port card in my planned CNC upgrade PC. The idea is to install everything and configure most things offline then swap to a completely new box and have the option to go straight back to something working if I mess it up but need to use the CNC mill.

I'm struggling to find a UK supplier for encoder wheels so I've ordered one from China, (I'm guessing one could be built using a suitable pair of optical sensors and a chopper wheel - like the old style computer mice that were billed as "optical" but still used a ball & rollers with a chopper wheel on the roller shaft) I've Googled and found loads of US suppliers but not a currently trading/stocking UK supplier :-(

- Nick

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 07:30:18 AM »
They will likely all come fro China anyway ;D
Some dont of course the Nemicons I have  on some machines were made in Japan.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 09:27:39 AM »
The first one has arrived!
It looks good and feels very nice, I just need to implement that upgrade PC to be able to test it!!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 01:36:10 PM »
Yes any I have had felt fine, the Nemicon are just that wee bit better feel to them but the difference is small.
Hood