Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:51:15 AM

Author Topic: Mach3 Turn wizard metric threading  (Read 17570 times)

Mach3 Turn wizard metric threading
« on: February 20, 2015, 03:53:59 PM »
Hello,
I am just checking to see how the treading wizard works. I need to do some metric threads, do I input the values in the wizard and threads.txt in inches (converting the metric value by dividing 25.4) and just specify the pitch I want with no TPI specified? I ask because all values in the threads.txt are in inches. My machine mach3 setup is all in inches but I have a few times when I need to cut a metric external thread and would use the wizard to do them since they are easy.
Thank you

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Mach3 Turn wizard metric threading
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 07:22:11 PM »
The threading is done in G95  mode ( Feed per rev mode). Pitch will be whatever you input ie; For  1/4 -20 NC
P=1/TPI= 0.050, you could actualy input 0.04989623 (even if the input box only shows to 0.4units ) and it will cut threads at that pitch. Point made.....

For a close metric pitch,ie; say P=1.25  ( metric 's pitch is in mm)   1.25mm x 0.0395 mm/inch=0.049375 ( imperial equivalent pitch)   

Yes, you can convert the thread profile units, from mm to inch, and it will cut good metric threads.

Make sure the you converted units are correct!

RICH
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 07:29:48 PM »
Hello,
Sorry for being slow but then does that mean for example I need a 14mm 2.0 pitch so then I should convert that to tpi as well or can I just put 2.0 as the pitch along with the converted inch units, or do I need to convert the pitch as well to TPI?
Thank you for the help, sorry for being slow I had just not done it via the wizard before, well for that mater at all via CNC yet. Done a lot else just not threading yet.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 07:15:28 AM »
Don't mix units in the wizard.

Your motor tuning is based on the configured units you defined for the machine.

So if you convert all the units (length) to inches then the pitch (which also a length ie; distance between the thread roots) should also be converted to inches since it also a length unit.

If metric / mm  than all the inputs should be in metric including the pitch, which per your #2 reply, the input for pitch would be 2.0.

RICH
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 07:23:33 AM »
The NfsTurn wizard handles either metric or imperial threads. The threads.txt file can have either units for the various diameters- they are just numbers in the gcode, as long as you are consistent, all metric or all imperial.The TPI or pitch is handled by the program- if you fill in either number it will calculate the one it needs for the code.

So you could actually mix the threads.txt file and have some entries in each units. The idea is to make the table most useful to the sizes you normally use.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 08:33:20 AM »
Ron,
Nice for the NFS Turn wizard and thanks for the reply.

BUT............
Some wizards ( written by other users ) are based on current configuration and don't check the modes that your are
configured for, so one must be carefull when using them.

I think that is partialy the case for the Simple Threading wizard. It checks to see if you are in diameter or radius mode,but, generates code based on input.
So if one does all inputs in Metric, but, the machine is configured for inches then one would need to add
a G21 to the program and G20 at the end. Also one should make a comment line of what units the code is based on.

For my new lathe screen set all used wizards (other than NFS) are modified and a check is made for say diameter / radius mode and adjustment made including other changes.

RICH

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 09:02:26 PM »
Thank you for the help everyone. Got it now.
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 03:29:09 PM »
Can anyone help me with metric threading in NFS turn ?

My problem is that when i use the threadtable on one of my computers i end up with a 4 digit number, for example a 4-40 thread ends up in 1129mm in my major dia dro. it seemes to ignore the commas.

On my other computer i get the right text (mm/rev) in the feed dro and correct numbers in all the dros but get the text ERROR ON LINE 94-96 - TYPE MISMATCH and canĀ“t change TPI to PITCH in the threadfile without the above message (and i know that one of them have to be 0)

Is it a setting in MACH or NFS ?
I have license for both programs and the latest versions.

The threadtable is great if i get it to work.

HELP ME
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 03:44:19 PM by Eriq »
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2015, 09:20:07 PM »
The thread table is not converted by the program, the numbers are simply entered into the gcode. If you want to use metric values you must make table entries with metric numbers. 4-40 is an inch size, not metric so its values will be simply entered into the code where metric values are expected.

Edit the table to have correct values for metric values. The table may mix values, but do not use them in the wrong trype.
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 01:58:36 PM »
Thanks for a quick answer

Today i changed in the control panel on m computer to English/USA input and got the commas (.) to work
It was set to European (,) before to divide numbers
I still have a problem.
When i try to use the pitch input in the threadtable it only works with numbers without commas.
Pitch-numbers in the threadtable like 1.5 changes the XClear dro and i get a message about Error missmatch.

Any suggestions how to put in a correct metric thread in the threadtable with for example M10-1.50
Major 10
Minor 8.376
Pitch 1.50
X Clear 1.5