Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 08:14:58 AM

Author Topic: A Simple BobCad V25 Job, or So I Thought!  (Read 14775 times)

A Simple BobCad V25 Job, or So I Thought!
« on: September 30, 2013, 07:19:35 AM »
I need to make a set of four of these hinge links for my heat treatment furnace -

and decided that rather than manually machining them it would be an ideal job with which to learn a little more of my way around V25 BobCad/Cam (Build 996).
I only made the model with one complete end as I'd be flipping the parts to machine the second side.
The model was constructed from a 90mm x 19mm x 3mm "Cube" with 19mm cylinders subtracted from the ends then a 19mm x 3mm cylinder added at one end and a 19mm x 6.2mm cylinder at the other end to give the projecting feature.
I'd started out by simply adding two cylinders to a cube and then in desperation when nothing seemed to be working resorted to first removing cylindrical sections from the "Cube" (in case there was some unseen complexity with hidden leftovers from the cube messing up the path generation) then adding the cylinders back in.

Pocketing the hole was a breeze, so was profiling the outside of the circular projection, then the wheels came off my cart!
Try as I might I couldn't get any of the available features to to generate a tool path to machine all of the large flat area without either missing some in the centre or ploughing through the projection, all with or without adding boundaries where possible.
Some features created paths inside the circle when the flat surface was selected to machine and the circle was selected as a boundary, where options were available it was possible to get them to flip to the outside but that just replicated the Profile feature and didn't address the flat surface.

I worked my way through all the 3-Axis features that offered a possibility of doing the job and was almost ready to give up and spit the dummy when I tried "Equidistant Offset". It works -

With the same model geometry Equidistant Offset works where all the other features fail, it doesn't need a boundary setting as it recognises the shape of the flat surface and deals with it, I feel sure there should be a feature available to 3-Axis Standard users which is capable of the job, but I can't fid it.  

Does anyone have an idea how this could be done by someone with 3-Axis Standard? It's only by chance that I ended up buying 3-Axis Pro and I feel sure this kind of job must be possible with the basic software and that I must have missed something somewhere,
Regards,
Nick

Re: A Simple BobCad V25 Job, or So I Thought!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 08:38:48 AM »
Update - Equidistant Offset also takes off some of the circular projection, not as much as the other functions though :-)
I've tried adding a boundary and selecting it but it's ignoring the defined boundary :-(

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 04:41:56 PM »
If you attach your model I will see what I can come up with but looks like an open pocket would do the job for you.
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 05:08:05 PM »
See if this is the kind of thing you are wanting to do. I did not select feeds and speeds correctly, just did things quickly.
http://youtu.be/Intky5WCJb8
Hood
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 05:13:31 PM by Hood »
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 05:33:39 PM »
I've had some great support from BobCadCam and have been informed that this has to be treated as a 3D toolpath, so a feature supporting a boundary must be used, and a boundary drawn, effectively defining a section of the job entirely independently of the model,
Thanks to Al and Mike,
ATB,
Nick
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 05:40:18 PM »
See if this is the kind of thing you are wanting to do. I did not select feeds and speeds correctly, just did things quickly.
http://youtu.be/Intky5WCJb8
Hood

Many Thanks Hood!
That looks good, I've just had similar things from Al DePoalo at BC and Mike on the BC support forum and I'm just about there,
Regards,
Nick

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 05:40:37 PM »
So what I have shown is not what you are wanting?
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 05:41:08 PM »

Mine is entirely 2 axis milling.
Hood
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 06:00:13 PM »
So what I have shown is not what you are wanting?
Hood

Hood,
It looks really good and has helped immensely in pointing me in the right direction, I'm playing with BC and open pocketing right now.
I have stock the right width and thickness and plan on machining the top surface and one end, then flipping the part in the vice to complete the other surface and end,
Regards & Thanks,
Nick

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 06:06:05 PM »
Ok no probs, I have just made a short video showing the open pocket and uploading to Youtube but sounds like you know what you are doing now :)
Will still upload anyway as it might help others.
I have not done anything except the open pocket, so no profiles or anything, just showing steps needed for that part :)
Hood