Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 01:32:54 AM

Author Topic: YAM-550 lathe retrofit  (Read 75469 times)

Re: YAM-550 lathe retrofit
« Reply #100 on: January 10, 2018, 11:45:31 AM »
Thanks for the pics and detailed description of the mounting.
Looks to be very well designed .... plenty rigid.
Russ
« Reply #101 on: January 10, 2018, 01:29:26 PM »
I have liked this lathe from day 1. Not sure if I ever mentioned it in a post in the past, but I found this lathe listed in an online auction. When I saw the pictures I decided to make the drive to see it in person before bidding on it. After inspection I had found it to be in hardly used great condition. Slightly rusty and covered in years of dust, but no wear. It did not run, but I intended to do the conversion so it didn't matter. I bought it in Detroit in 2008 when the auto industries were suffering and all the shops that did work for them were going under. Paid a whopping $301.00 for it plus the $50.00 to get it loaded on my trailer. With what I paid for it and have invested in it over the years it may as well be making silver dollars when it runs. I have had better looking equipment over the years, but seldom has a machine had such a good return on investment. 
It may not be rocket science, but try to send a man to the moon with out a machinist.
« Reply #102 on: January 10, 2018, 01:47:22 PM »
Yes, I remember when you first posted it. Been watching for one similar ever since. I did find an older Clausing 15" with a similar slide assy on it but it was a it big for what I'm wanting. Could have bought the entire rig for $500 but a 4 hr drive each way was the other reason to pass on it.
I have everything now to build one for my Wade, your pics and descriptions will definitely help ...... if/when I get started on it.
Thanks again,
Russ
« Reply #103 on: January 10, 2018, 07:40:17 PM »
The PLC talks over ModBus to Mach, it means you just have one cable from the PLC to the computers serial port and all communication goes via that. I use the DL06 PLC from Automation Direct. I use the D0-06DR model which has relay outputs.

Hood

I just sold off the DL06 that was in my machine.  Replaced it with an Automation Direct DoMore BRX plc.  Programming software is free. The BRX models go up to 36 digital I/O, and 4 analog inputs, 2 analog outputs and 8 of the inputs are highspeed to 250Khz, 8 of the outputs are highspeed to 250Khz,  Built in Ethernet and serial, plus a POM module that can add another ethernet port, or serial, or Profibus.  Add on expansion modules up the wazoo, no rack limitations. Has an SD card slot for backup or data storage, and can send emails and text messages.  Way better programming techniques and software, and the Autotune PID loops will blow your socks off!

We are so impressed that we are switching our whole product line over from another AD PLC and it is saving us $1200 in hardware costs alone!
« Reply #104 on: January 22, 2018, 01:58:48 PM »
I have been in love with the Automation Direct PLC's for some time. The newer Productivity series is what I have been using in 90% of my work related projects and I have been super happy with them in every way. DL05 & DL06 still have a place, but these things are fantastic at everything I have used them on. When I get done with my next round of upgrades I will have 23 of my 26 at PLC's at work converted to AD. No thoughts of going back.
It may not be rocket science, but try to send a man to the moon with out a machinist.