Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:45:30 PM

Author Topic: My cuts are the wrong size...  (Read 7463 times)

Re: My cuts are the wrong size...
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 07:14:09 AM »
I havent forgotten... Just flat chat at the moment!

I've done some tests, but I'll finish first before I post em...

Feed rate definitely changes things, also climb vs conventional direction... I've not check whether thats tool deflection or flex in the machine yet (moneys on flex to be honest)
Also, gauge dialled 1mm and it comes to 0.99mm

Anyways, I'll check more soon...

Thanks, Bill
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 05:10:28 PM »
If feed rate changes things are you losing steps? Are your motors set to high. Im no expert by ant means. I do know with my CNC if I set my motors to high they are not accurate they loose steps I guess its called .

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2013, 12:18:20 PM »
Velocity and acceleration are very important during set up. It is very easy to set either value to high and loose steps.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 11:03:52 AM »
Hey all, Again, I havent forgotten, just school holidays, rush jobs etc...

Im pretty certain that Im not losing steps anywhere, but have noticed considerable flex in the body of the machine. I had originally written this off in my head as unrelated but since realised (after a dumb moment, one of those get caught up thinking the problem is elsewhere) it could be a serious contributor to the issue. Though I think I might be experiencing a couple of small things adding up to create a bigger overall problem.

So again, once things calm down, I should be able to get back into it and finish the diagnosis...
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 04:32:33 PM »
Set up the dial indicator an push on the machine frame.  You may be surprised by what you find.  By moving the indicator and measuring at different places you often will find that one thing is a big contributor to a position problem and that there are also small contributors.  Fixing just the big one may be all you really need to do.