Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:43:25 AM

Author Topic: XY lead out when cutting circles - why?  (Read 7990 times)

XY lead out when cutting circles - why?
« on: August 15, 2013, 05:19:24 PM »
Am I missing something? How are XY lead ins or lead outs appropriate to circle cutting? When cutting circles, a final lead out in the XY plane is included in the published code. This is in direct conflict with the material left in place! This requires manually editing out the lead out from the code to safely cut circles.  A ramping retraction in Z at the end would be fine...
Also,  logically (in my mind) all operations begin and end at tool change. An option to select a ZXY start position and a XYZ return position would be most productive..
Fix or Advice?
Thanks,
Roger
Re: XY lead out when cutting circles - why?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 06:39:40 PM »
Yes, The lead out would make a full depth cut into new material. Not a good move. Brian made some changes to the circle code after I last looked at it. I will get to him and work on it.

The wizard is based on the idea that a job will consist of more than one operation. It would be a waste of time to move to a tool change position between every operation. We do always make a move up to the Z rapid height as the last move of every op, since that is a place where any Xy move can be made to start the next operation.
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 08:36:24 PM »
Thanks Ron for your quick response.
I get your point about multiple operations without changing tools. That is why I asked for an OPTION to set ZXY start and XYZ end. In my case, ZXY start would always be at the desired tool change position, as well as is XYZ end.
As a homeshop practitioner I (and many others) do many single cut operations, which requires changing the tool before the next operation, or removing the tool before clearing the setup.
Regards,
Roger
Pocket Circle code cuts air in clearance height. Was: XY lead out...
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 06:39:33 PM »
Yesterday I made my first use of the wizard to cut circles, and the code is broken.
today, I made my second use of the wizard to cut circle pockets, and that code appears to be broken also.
Why does the code start out by cutting air down through two inches of clearance height before reaching the top Z of 0.00?
Is this software really supposed to be ready for release, or should I have expected to pay for alfa testing?

This is really disappointing...
Roger
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 08:20:13 PM »
Simply complaining its broken is not very useful for support. If you read through this section I have responded and fixed every report of a problem. Give me an explanation of what you think is broken and include a job file that demonstrated it. I will do my best to fix it.

Clearance height is defined to be the height above the work surface, Z=0 on the first pass, where we switch from rapid to feed rate moves. It is also the amount we raise up between passes on pocket cuts. I would set it to about .050", certainly not 2 inches.
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 11:33:19 PM »
Ron, if you consider 'simply complaining' my description of the defect, then so be it... I remind you that you admitted that circle cutting had a coding error and you would bring it to Brian's attention; I call that a bug report. I have attached the job file in this case, perhaps you can explain what I did wrong, and/or weather I defined the problem insufficiently, and finally how to execute the operation correctly. The material thickness is 0.77"
Thanks,
Roger
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 12:04:42 AM »
Ron,
I just realized I had not read the wizard's definition of clearance height. I was assuming that to be some overall clearance for fixtures, as in the past, I have always used .1 as a rapid height, also considered as a suitable 'clearance height', so that clears up my problem with 'clearance height'. My bad for no rtfm...
Thanks,
Roger
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 07:47:53 AM »
Ok, I have fixed the circle cut withlead outs. Now it just spirals down, then does a straight Z up move

Brian cant get this on the web in the usual place for a couple days, so I am attaching it to this topic. I will delete it when Brian puts the next version on the web.

removed installer, look below for 1.0.13
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 09:28:34 PM by Ron Ginger »
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 10:38:50 AM »
Thank you Ron,
Roger
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 09:31:27 PM »
Changed circle cut so that on inside cut, if the tool dia is>= 1/2 of circle dia it will do a lead out cut on the final pass.

This works because if the tool is that large it will be clearing out the entire circle, and a leadout will improve surface finish.