Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:36:00 AM

Author Topic: Edge Finder Dia offsets wrong direction and Sherline Y axis measurements  (Read 4574 times)

I apologize, but I have misconfigured my Mach3 and searches through the forums, etc are not helping.

On my Y axis, once I enter the Edge Finder Dia, move my tool to the side of the work, and select the edge, the offset from the tool is applied in the wrong direction.  My 0 gets moved farther away from the work.

My first thought was that I was selecting the wrong edge in the offsets screen, but both edges apply the offset in the same wrong direction, or am I becomming senile?  To fix this, I have been entering G01 Y1.25 and zero Y again.  It hasn't caused a problem except for annoyance.

A final question:  I am new to CNC milling but I would have expected the scale on my Y axis of the sherline mill to match Mach 3 machine coordinates for Y.  Instead, it is reversed.  As the end mill moves in the +Y direction (which as I look at the mill means the end mill is moving away from me) for Mach3, my Sherline mill scale moves in the -Y direction.  It is only an annoyance, but it means that I have to home my Y axis at 7" instead of 0".  Am I completely reversed somewhere?  Am I looking at my milling machine sideways or something?  I can't imagine I am doing this correctly.

My X axis is working as expected for both edge finder dia and the movement of the endmill in the X direction matching the scale on the X axis.

Thoughts?  And thank you,
Fowler

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
Without engineers the world stops
Thank you, I think that helps.  If I read that post correctly, then my end mill is properly moving in the Y direction away from me and Sherline simply has their scale on their machine backwards from a CNC perspective. 

I am not screwed up, but Sherline is.  I still find that hard to believe. 

I am still not able to figure out why the edge finder dia offset is causing the Y axis to compensate towards me which would be a negative move in the Y direction.  I have been touching my "work" on the top, left side, and the side closest to me.  I do that because the origin (0,0,0) is hypothetically on the top (Z), left side(X), and side losest to me(Y).

Somewhere, as a newbie, I am wrong.  I just need someone to slap the side of my head or I simply need to experiment even more.

Fowler

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
If you have 1.25 in the edge finder dia, what happens if you enter -1.25 in the dia?

Graham.
Without engineers the world stops
Interesting concept...

I don't know, I will try a negative diameter as soon as I get home in a few hours and let you know. 

:-)

Fowler
I GOT IT!!!

I was actually clicking on the picture of the end-mill instead of the "Select" buttons.

My guess is that the end-mill photographs have to do with moving away from the origin, which is why X was increased and Y was decreased...

I think I get it now.

Thank you for spending time to read this and trying to help.  As a note, the negative entry for the diameter has no effect.  It appears that the software uses the absolute value of the edge finder diameter.

Again, Thank you,
Paul Fowler