Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:01:29 AM

Author Topic: limit switch... noise?  (Read 5438 times)

limit switch... noise?
« on: February 14, 2006, 11:05:37 AM »
Hi
My machine kicks out for no reason, Mach 3 gives a "limit switch activated" (er something like that) message. It does this even when the machine isn't running. Everything else works great, this is mostly just an annoyance... I usually have to reset and "run from here" only once per cutting session. I didn't have any problem with Mach 2. Could it be electrical noise from my stepper wires which are routed right along with the limit switch wires?
Stepper wires are 18 gaue, limit switch wires are 22 gauge.

Thanks
-Matt
Re: limit switch... noise?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 07:12:58 PM »
What do you have the debounce set to ? it is under config / logic... Try about 1000 and see if that helps.

Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 09:44:42 AM »
Debounce was at 0!!
Thanks Barker
Should I start with a lower value? The manual says 100, Mach 2 was 500.

-Matt
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 10:43:30 AM »
Matt:

As it happens, i just installed limit switches on my X axis. While I was debugging it, I connected the switches to the parallel port with a piece of unshielded cable, and clip leads at the switches. I had to set my debounce to 10,000 for the machine to stop tripping randomly.

Once I figured out the wiring, i replaced it with shielded 22 gauge cable, and the problems went away. i think I have the debounce down to 300 now, and i may try to see how low I can reliably go.

So if your limit switch wiring is not shielded, you may need to change it out to shielded wiring. If you do, make sure you ground the shields to the parallel port ground.

Andy Wander
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 10:40:17 AM »
500 works!- thanks Barker
Andy- If I run into more problems I know where to look... Thanks!

-Matt
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 03:56:50 PM »
I can remember my first time with that problem :) NOT FUN!!!
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com