Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 11:31:40 AM

Author Topic: Machine stops in the middle of a program run  (Read 4851 times)

Machine stops in the middle of a program run
« on: July 18, 2013, 07:58:53 PM »
I had this problem before and someone here helped me changing something in the setup and it worked. Unfortunately I loaded a new profile for my new Velox machine and now I'm having the same problem and I don't remember what the fix was....

Here's whats happening. I load any G-code and the machine starts running normally, sometime within the process the machine stops and displays "external  limit switch activated"?
this is right in the center of the machine so I am not anywhere close to the limits.

Any idea what may be causing this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Peter
Re: Machine stops in the middle of a program run
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 08:13:52 PM »
try increasing the debounce interval in general config to 2000
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 09:56:34 PM »
I'll try that when I get home.

Thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 01:38:25 AM »
Tried everything and nothing works. Borrowed a PC from a friend and everything works like a charm but with the laptop I get this problem every single time....

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 02:21:43 AM »
Hi Pete,

Are you using an external motion controller (such as the SmoothStepper etc) with that laptop ?

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 11:08:59 AM »
Hey Tweakie,
I am using a smoothstepper.

Thanks

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 12:56:48 PM »
Pete,

Firstly, if you are using mechanical limit switches it my be worth just tapping the side of each one lightly with a small screwdriver handle (or similar) and seeing if this causes the 'limit switch activated' - switches can sometimes have loose or bad internal contacts which could be activated by vibration. Also, it would be worth checking all your limit switch wiring, connectors etc. for damage or poor contact (I am assuming you are using 'shielded cables' for your limit switch wiring - if not then you should be).

Secondly, try increasing the Noise Filtering values in your SS Config Dialogue.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 02:47:25 PM »
Dont use too much filtering in the SS config, it is different than the parallel port in that only small values should be used. The parallel port it is often recommended to put in values of 2000 or so and work your way down but with the SS if you put in that amount you will get very slow signals, if at all, so just be aware of that
 The increments are 1.43 in the SS and going much higher than 10 will likely cause delays that you can see, having said that 1.43 is quite often enough, always was for me on anything I had.
Hood
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 03:03:47 PM »
Thanks guys. I doubt it's anything wire related since it works fine with a PC.

I do have it set at 2000, should it be lower for the smoothstepper?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 03:38:27 PM »
The Smppthstepper doesnt use the Debounce Interval, adjusting that will have no effect as it is purely for the parallelport.
For the SS go to Plugin Control menu the SS Config, that will open the plugin window. You will see quite a few options for the filtering there, choose the Limits one and enter 1.43 and see if it helps, might also need to try the E-Stop one as well.
Hood