Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 10:46:06 AM

Author Topic: How do I apply tool offset in Mach 3 turn?  (Read 5582 times)

How do I apply tool offset in Mach 3 turn?
« on: July 18, 2013, 07:50:21 PM »
Hi all, newbie here.
My problem is that I can't seem to apply my tool offsets. I have 4 tools in my tool table so far with the x and y offset values.
When I input G43 H2 (or H3 H4) into the MDI line, nothing happens.
I was expecting machine to move to the tool offset. Where am I going wrong?

Thanks
Richard

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: How do I apply tool offset in Mach 3 turn?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 03:59:51 AM »
Lathe tools are not called the same way as with Mill.
To call a lathe tool you have Txxyy where the xx represents the tool number and the yy represents the offset number.
For example T0101 means tool 1 and offsets from 1 in the tool table.
T0120 would mean tool 1 and the values from  20 in the tool table.

There is no need for a M6 in Turn although it will do no harm if it is there.
G43H is not used at all.

Hood
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 05:57:34 AM »
All sorted now. By inputting "T0202  X0 Z0" (for example) the machine now moves to the tool offset.    Inputting Just T0202 or any other tool and offset number wasnt getting any movement. Had to add X0 Z0 after.

Many Thanks

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 07:05:08 AM »
Normally you do not want the axis to automatically move on a lathe for the actual tool change, thus the DROs will only reflect the offset when a tool is called.

Hood
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 08:36:19 AM »
Its all making sense now. Does mach 3 stop automatically when it encounters a tool change line such as "T0202" in a program, or would you have to add the "M00" command, then hit start cycle after the tool change is done.

Thanks Richard
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 08:55:07 AM »
Go to Config>General Config>click "Stop spindle.Wait for cycle start" Click OK  That's what I did anyway. :)
Milton from Tennessee ya'll.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 09:00:16 AM »
It depends on the option you have set in General Config.
You can have one of three options.
1. Ignore Toolchange
2. Stop spindle and wait for cycle Start
3. Auto Tool changer

First one does exactly what it says, it just continues and wont do anything
Second on will stop the spindle, apply the offsets and  wait for you to swap your tool then you press Start and it continues.
Third is as it says, it is for an automatic toolchanger and it will look at the M6Start.m1s macro to see what has to be done, this obviously is customised to your turret.

So if you have a manual tool change then option 2 is what you want, if you have an automatic  turret then option 3 is what you want.

One thing to be careful with option 2 is that your profile has not been cloned from a mill profile as a Mill uses the M6End.m1s macro and that will move your axes after you press Start. So if using option 2 have a look at the M6End macro and make sure it doesnt have any code in it.

Hood
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 01:07:22 PM »
Many Thanks DickyBird and Hood. Option 2 it is then. "Stop spindle.Wait for cycle start."

Thats me sorted.

Ive only recently finished converting my lathe to CNC. In my spare time I make bearing extraction tools for KTM enduro bikes using machined sockets and bushes.
  www.morgans-tool.co.uk     It was a bit time consuming making then on a manual lathe, even with powered cross feed. Now I can make them a lot quicker with fewer mistakes. Just got to write the G code for each component, shouldn't be a problem as they are straight forward operations. Basic facing and turning with the odd little taper here and there. I Could use and edit the wizards but I do find they waste a lot of time and movement in the ammount of clearance they give.

Thanks again for the replies and help.

Regards Richard