Hello Guest it is April 26, 2024, 06:58:32 PM

Author Topic: Help/Advice  (Read 25550 times)

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: Help/Advice
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2013, 03:11:23 PM »
That the raster based software generated the waves. check your setting on resolution of the created raster file. I set mine quite high so I don't have a stair stepping effect. But I am using ArtCam when I do raster files.

Do you see the grooves in Aspires preview? If not, then they are not caused by the g-code. Aspires preview is very accurate. If the preview looks good, then your part should look good.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2013, 03:19:02 PM »
That looks good Alan. I would ask Vectric. I wonder if their algorithm has a flaw.

Brett  
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2013, 03:23:35 PM »
As Gerry mentions, if the preview looks good in Aspire, then it will cut properly. If it's not cutting properly, something is definitely up with the machine(motors, stability, etc).

The reason I told him to go to the Vectric forum, is because those guys are really sharp when it comes to figuring out the source of the issue.

Alan, any chance you have some HDU or just some foam to cut this 3D file in? That would help tell if you have a stability issue as the foam would have almost no resistance.

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline kcib

•  74 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2013, 04:13:14 PM »
Thanks guys I know that it is not in the software it is something on this machine it is just finding it, I might well strip down the "Z" axis and remove the 5 axis head unit and fit the spindle motor direct onto the "Z" axis and see if that does make any difference not sure why it would but it is something to try and if all else fails I shall totally rebuild the gantry again but in a slightly different way.
Again thanks for everyone's response.
Alan

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2013, 06:14:01 PM »
Alan, Dave has a great suggestion, foam may be the tell all.  I would want to know where the problem is before I attacked it. I seriously doubt that Vectrics has a flaw but I wouldn't hesitate asking before I started disassembly.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2013, 10:07:52 PM »
Hi
I know that this is maybe not the correct place to put this but as there are a lot of people here who are using routers I thought that I might just get a better response.
Anyway I have a problem to which I do not seem to be able to resolve with my router when machining either soft or hard wood and it is now getting very annoying if you look at the picture you will see what I mean I am getting lines which you can clearly see and no matter what I do to try and cure this problem nothing seems to work, I have tried all variations of feeds and speeds but nothing seems to work, I have a solid machine not a small machine that I have built it does not move or vibrate in any way, as you can see by the picture of the machine it is 5 axis and as I say it is all very solid so I am just hoping that someone just might know the answer to my problems  and please do not tell me to just sand these lines, these lines are around 0.5 to 0.75mm deep and I have tried machining at all different angles with the grain against the grain etc.
So please help me out here I have not got much hair left to pull out
Thanks
Alan
I use MeshCam Art, and have experienced similar results in the finishing tool cuts. This was prior to installation of the 2010 Screeen Set in Mach3, and was the result of setting the Z Zero after tool change (from the roughing tool, to the finishing tool) by using a sheet of paper as a "feeler gauge". However, as I said, this problem was prior to the 2010 Screen Set in Mach3. Consistent Z Zero settings have been one of the best aspects of the 2010 Screen Set, and accompanying macros. Believe it or not, Depending on the piece, you may actually have occassions, when it is actually desirable to do the finishing cuts "Just a hair shallow", which does result in finished pieces with textures similar to those you have pictured.

Offline kcib

•  74 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2013, 06:20:09 AM »
The Screen Set should make no difference at all when machining I use a different Screen Set to the standard 1024 that comes with Mach and as for measuring the tool after the roughing cut the machine auto measures the tool so that it start in the correct place and at the correct depth so I have no need to use paper / feeler gauge etc. and my finishing cuts are normally around 0.0200 mm (0.0007873992 inch) and on the few occasions a little more.
Thanks for your input.
Alan

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2013, 06:59:14 AM »
I'm wondering if your finish cuts are too light? I usually take at the very least .020" (.5mm) in wood.

You may be experiencing cutter flex/machine flex on the roughing run and the finish run is not cleaning it up.

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline kcib

•  74 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2013, 07:10:52 AM »
Hi Dave
I have tried taking off more on finishing cuts but it does not seem to make any difference, believe me I have just about exhausted all my options with cutting at this depth and feeds and spindle motor speeds I still seem to get the same results but I have decided that if I do not get any results after I put it onto the Vectric forum then I shall take the complete "Z" axis off of gantry and while that is off reinforce the gantry in the places that I think was Craig suggested then remove the 5 axis head unit and then fit the spindle motor back to the "Z" axis and try again and see what happens if that fails then it might be time for the large very large hammer to make an appearance ;) and see if that frightens the machine into working properly.
Again thanks for everyones input very much appreciated.
Alan
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2013, 07:43:30 AM »
You might also check the thrust bearing/play in the spindle motor. There appears to be some vertical deflection as it looks like the cutter is floating up and over the harder grain of the material ... looks like spruce, pine or fir.
If it can deflect over the grain, then as Bud says, it could possibly be floating over the remnants of the roughing cuts.
Hard to tell for sure in the pic, but is there bumps at the harder grain ?

(edit: spelling)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 08:28:21 AM by Overloaded »