Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 01:23:10 AM

Author Topic: Unwanted datum shift in x axis  (Read 16827 times)

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
Re: Unwanted datum shift in x axis
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2013, 12:22:44 PM »
I want to know what the noise is.

If its a loose ball nut or bearing/housing or motor mount then that can cause problems with position.  I would check all the clamps, nuts and bolts first and make sure every thing is solid.  It has been known for ball nuts to be loose in the housing and sliding about.

Graham
Without engineers the world stops
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2013, 12:28:35 PM »
I will have a check over all tonight, I checked the guide rails they were tight but I need to disassemble the gantry to get to rest.

Whatever causes this is definitely on the x axis and only on positive moves especially wen moving in y as well . As said before swapping motors doesn't cure it. I know all motor mounts are tight

Cheers
Dave
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2013, 03:23:34 PM »
Hi all

Problem is now solved thanks to Scott at Mach support. It has turned out to be a fault with the x drive in the control box, we have swapped it with the z and it is now running perfectly. Now I need to get a replacement from the eBay seller but I doubt that will happen :-/

Thanks for everyone's input

Cheers

Dave

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2013, 02:06:27 AM »
Hi Dave,

I am pleased that you have found the problem.  :)

Perhaps if you post a couple of pictures of the inside of your control box someone may know of a suitable replacement for the defective drive (assuming that the seller does not come up with the goods).

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2013, 02:26:37 AM »
I have a pic on my phone but at the moment can't post it as it keeps saying there is already one of the same name. Im Wondering about replacing the whole box with one of the boxes you can buy from ebay such as this one

Cheers

Dave

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2013, 03:12:43 AM »
Couldn't say one way or the other if that box is OK - certainly the bay description sounds good and the price is good as well but the overall quality will be an unknown.

If you want a quality product with excellent documentation and backup then the Gecko drives take a lot of beating http://www.geckodrive.com/geckodrive-step-motor-drives.html but there will be UK import duties / vat on top of the price.

Does you existing controller look like this one ?

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2013, 03:17:30 AM »
Ah ok. I see your point. I'll look at the gecko drives.

No my box has one card that does all 3 axis that's around 120mm x 90mm at a guess with toshiba chips on it

I've been messages this morning by the seller, stating they will replace the card but first I need to video the error occurring, how can I do this when it takes 20min to shift 2mm.

Ran the machine last night with cards swapped cut profiles lovely but now I have no control over depth . It slowly gets lower and lower lol

Cheers

Dave
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2013, 01:24:48 PM »
hi

heres a pic of my driver board from inside my control box. the seller from ebay has now said they will send a replacement board but when asked when it will arrive has not responded >:(

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2013, 10:37:48 PM »
 >:(I am using Powermill and Mach 3 on a Novakon Torus mill.  I am making a simple 2 1/2 D part with a profile and some holes drilled in it.  When it comes to a tool change, it seems to lose its coordinates and wander of in to space.  Has anyone had this problem?