Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:13:12 AM

Author Topic: Taig CNC mill Z not working properly  (Read 7691 times)

Re: Taig CNC mill Z not working properly
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 05:36:11 AM »
I use my Taig mill a lot and get very good results with 1/4 inch end mills, but I do slow the plunge rate down a lot.  The Taig doesn't really like anything much larger than 1/4.  Have used 5/16 with some success, but a 3/8 will really  bog it down.

Best results have been achieved using high helix center-cutting carbide tools.  They cut 1/8 to 1/4 inch deep in one pass (6061 aluminum) without a problem at a speed of F5.    Have not pushed any harder than that.  Generally requires little or no polishing for a really good surface finish.

Bob@BobsShop

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 05:40:25 AM »
Yawn,  too early to be typing anything.  Opps, forgot to say that I am using high-helix 3-flute end mills. 

Bob - back to the bed.
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 10:11:46 PM »
I will look at purchasing the higher helix end mills to move out the chips faster and see what I can do with it. It seems to be a pretty stout machine for its size.  I'm also in the process of building a bigger gantry style machine with a 2' x 5' bed.  Just have to get the time to start building the main frame. Have all the other goodies to make it work.
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2013, 10:07:46 PM »
Hello all,
Finally got around to designing and running a new program.  Using a 1/4" 2 flute, high helix, center cut carbide end mill and took lighter cuts and it seemed to hold the Z depth. I guess I'm used to the old Bridgeport in the shop. Got to think light cuts and longer cutting times. Cant eat the cake all in one bite. Good thing becuase the Misses was about to take it to the scrap yard.  :o Thanks for all the input on this post and I'm sure I will be posting more questions with issues when I start building the "Monster"" CNC table.
Thanks