Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:48:09 PM

Author Topic: Help with router recommendations  (Read 14468 times)

Help with router recommendations
« on: May 12, 2013, 05:31:04 AM »
Hi

I recently bought a CNC 3040 router off eBay, very bad experience and its being returned for a refund. Now I'm looking to either buy anouther or build.  I have a budget of £800 would this be enough for all the parts? I am a CNC machinist by trade so can make all the frame no problem from ally tooling plate

Or should I buy something like this:
http://gocnc.de/product_info.php?products_id=134&language=en

I'm looking to machine fr4 up to 3 mm and polyprope upto 10mm

Any help would be grate

Cheers

Dave

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Help with router recommendations
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 08:54:11 AM »
Hi Dave,

I think, like everything in this world, you get what you pay for - so who is to say that the machine kit you linked to will be superior in quality to your previous machine.

I constructed my own router from scratch but it is not for the faint hearted – a lot of work and learning-as-you-go involved but equally a lot of job satisfaction as the reward. Almost all the required parts were sourced on the bay, many of which were ‘second user’ but it is not always easy to decide which are truly ‘quality parts’ and which are rubbish - I made some mistakes. ;D

Perhaps think ahead – it may well be FR4 and PolyProp at the moment but how about the future ?

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 09:10:47 AM »
Cheers for the reply. Definitely need something better. It does appeal to build my own just don't want to embark on the project and not achieve it due to budget restraints I'd be looking to fit ball screws rather than the acme threaded ones.

My requirement of fr4 and plastic are unlikely to change. I own the firm in st Ives Cambridgeshire and would use one of my vmc's for ally parts. I really need the machine for hobby work and prototyping (radio control cars). Dnt get much free machine time. Need to keep work and play seperate :-)

Cheers

Dave
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 09:30:06 AM »
Out of interest how much did it cost to make your machine and what size is it

Many thanks

Dave

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 12:05:10 PM »
Hi Dave,

My machine is small with a work area of just over 350mm x 350mm. If your interested details are here http://www.cooperman.talktalk.net/

No idea about cost, it's a man toy and who dares to put a price on their hobby.  ;D  ;D

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 01:59:53 PM »
Lol very true. Man toys cannot be costed! That is a lovely bit of kit and way out of my price range. A boy can dream! Lol

Probably gonna have to buy a cheapy :-/