Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:36:13 AM

Author Topic: Needing help to get set up  (Read 9143 times)

Offline Zilna

•  11 11
    • View Profile
Re: Needing help to get set up
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 06:00:56 PM »
Or is it possible for someone to post a screen shot of a properly functioning diagnostics screen so I know what we are working toward achieving?

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 06:08:40 PM »
I would post you a screen shot but my machine is down right now.  Building a new control cabinet.  You can use your meter and check the output pins that you assigned to your axis step and direction signals.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline Zilna

•  11 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 07:53:44 PM »
The pins are roughly 5v each. I did have a few dead one's (pin 15 for example) not sure if they should have no reading?? When trying to move the motor with the arrow keys there is no change in voltage, is that right?

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2013, 08:24:39 PM »
You should be able to see a change in voltage from the db 25 pins for the step and direction signals.  Choose a pin you have set up as a direction pin for any axis and hook one lead of the meter to it and the other lead on meter to ground or 5 volts (depending if your driveing logic low or high).  It should change when you try to jog in one direction or the other so with the meter connected jog in both directions and see if your reading changes.

Brett

Offline Zilna

•  11 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2013, 08:28:37 PM »
Are there any known compatibility issues with any parallel port cards? We are certain that the wiring is correct and that there is nothing wrong with the PC. This leads us to only two things; the card and the cable, both of which are brand new. Going to try to load up an older computer we have laying around and see what happens.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2013, 08:35:20 PM »
There could be tons of things going on.  Trouble shooting is one step at the time.  If you test those outputs with a meter you will have an idea where to start,  Could very well be your parallel port isnt configured correctly, wrong drivers, who knows?  Only one way to find out.  I have sent you a PM.

Brett

Offline Zilna

•  11 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2013, 09:47:49 AM »
So, after getting PC #2 to come on, yeah it's been sitting for a year lol, we installed Mach3 and ran through the settings and voila! the motors are turning! So now the determination is that the new card we put in our main PC is no good. Going to go ahead and save the settings and move them over to the main PC to double check but we're fairly certain that it won't work. Thank you for your help Brett! Troubleshooting can be a major pain and it certainly makes you rack your brain. Just glad that we had another PC sitting around to work with. We had that one laying around because there was something wrong with it, but we diagnosed it to be the video card and just removed it and used the onboard.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2013, 10:02:05 AM »
 :)  Your making progress. 

Brett

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2013, 04:39:24 AM »
Hi there, don't know what breakout board you are using but I just bought one from Austarlia and it has LEDs on each
cahnnel and you can see them blinking on and off as you offer instuctions from Mach3. Certainly made it easy to hook
up drives and confirm port/pin assignments.
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'