Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 03:28:22 AM

Author Topic: new mobo, fresh install.... PCIe LPT port adapter..... wt.  (Read 4199 times)

new mobo, fresh install.... PCIe LPT port adapter..... wt.
« on: April 25, 2013, 09:14:51 PM »
So, I have a Smithy 622 mini mill, old pc it was running pooped the bed.  Previously everything was functional for 3+ years.

Fresh motherboard (foxconn N15235), and a syba (SD-PEX10005) PCIe parallel port adapter.

Fresh install of current version Mach and brought over my old config and license file.  E-Stop works, DRO's zero and increment, motors don't turn.  I've configured the port correctly, and swapped the adapter card in 2 different slots on the mobo.  The LPT port is set to 'never use a interrupt' and also enabled legacy plug and play detection.  No luck.  At this point i'm guessing this PCIe adapter doesn't want to play along.....  any suggestions????

Thanks,

Matt

Edited:
Had to remove a typo in the subject line.  ;)
Brett
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 10:11:54 PM by Chaoticone »

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: new mobo, fresh install.... PCIe LPT port adapter..... wt.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 09:37:14 PM »
The pcie may not work as the pci version does. is there a reason to not use A pci VERSION?

Just a thought, (;-) TP
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 10:09:31 PM by Chaoticone »
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 07:14:57 PM »
The pcie may not work as the pci version does.

Yeah.  :p

is there a reason to not use A pci VERSION?

Had this card laying around.  Ordered a PCI LPT card as a next step.  I'm more curious as to the why a PCI express card does not function, or if any other changes can possibly be made to correct the problem.
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 09:07:29 PM »
While you are waitingfor the newcard to come in verify that your ports and pins are set correctly. The other thing is that this may be a 3.3v or lower card and your old card was 5v. Your BOB may not work with the lower voltage.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 11:54:42 AM »
Uninstalled PCIe adapter card, installed new PCI parallel port adapter card, syba SD-PCI-1P (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124004)

fixed new address for port 1, and back to the same situation.....  verified E-stop functionality, DRO moves with axis... no motors turn.

looks like i need to grab a scope from work and see what the output is from the PCI card. 

Grrrr......... :(

Any way to tell from specifications if the pci card has a 3.3v or 5v output???? 

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 12:23:24 PM »
Any way to tell from specifications if the pci card has a 3.3v or 5v output? 

Perhaps not from the spec. but if you hook a voltmeter between any axis output direction pin and pin 25 you will get a reading (Approx. 0V when you jog that axis in one direction and 5V when you jog it in the other). If you only get 3.3V then, as already said, this could possibly be the problem.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 12:54:56 PM »
Thanks for the response..... it's been a while since i set this up originally, slowly coming back to me!   :D