Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:44:24 PM

Author Topic: Homing switch  (Read 3444 times)

Homing switch
« on: April 15, 2013, 01:35:53 PM »
I have a question about setting up home switches on my machine.  At one point during setup I had all three switches signals being received into mach 3. I was doing the following to test the signal config>ports and pins>Input Signal > clicked x home>Automated setup>drop down x home switch auto set. Then I would close the switch by touching the two leads and it would come up port 1 pin 12 or 13 or 14 depending on the wiring at the time.
One thing I did not mention is the each switch is being run directly into my gecko g540 via a not sure if this is the right word but a switch box that runs the signail to the board itself. I don’t think this is the issue as I have checked continuity all the way back to the geeko and it is good from all ports.
I have installed on my mach3 the file for running the geeko driver that came from cnc router parts.
I am wondering if there is a setting in mach 3 that I might have turned off or on that would not regonize the signail.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.  If you need more informaton just ask and i will post what is needed to figure this out.
Mark

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Homing switch
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 04:31:33 PM »
Not really sure what your problem is, you say you did the automated setup and by the sounds of it it seemed to work but maybe I am reading incorrectly?
Hood
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 10:31:31 PM »
it was picking them up during pre test just shorting by wires touching them together to check and to see if it was working. Then i mounted the actual switches to the machine and i can only get on of the signails to connect during auto set up. I am getting port one pin 12 to register. I then went back and checked continuity from switch to gecko to eliminate switch problems etc. And they are all good. So i no the signail is getting to the gecko but it wont register when doing auto set up. i havealso eliminated the switches as they have continuity back to the geeko board.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 03:19:50 AM »
Ok so are the switches normally closed or normally open? Ideally, for safety reasons, you want normally closed switches.
Have you tried setting them manually in ports and pins? ie looking to see which pin you have them connected to on the G540 and then entering that in Ports and pins against each switch.

Hood
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 09:43:28 AM »
Thanks Hood I got them to home by adding the pins the way that you suggested. I also verified this by looking at the diagnostic screen and see the switches light when i activate them. Thanks for the suggestion, i will try to get the machine to home today. I ran out of time last night. And i want to change the location of the switch to the positive side of the Y axis. When i home it will go in the positive direction. not sure if that would be a problem or not so i will fix it before it does create a problem. I did try to home it once last night and the x axis only engaged one motor when it was homing and i had to estop the machine. i was to tired at that point to look into with much detail. I remember reading somewhere that it has to do with the one motor being a slave motor.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 01:24:36 PM »
You can have the home switches at any end you choose. If the machine moves the wrong way when homing you can go to the Homing and Limits page (from Config menu) and change the Home Negative setting. If your switches are fully positive then you can enter a value in the Home Off box equal to the distance the switch is away from machine zero (fully negative X and Y) and when you home the machine coords will show that value.
Hood
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 10:09:46 AM »
Thanks hood!! I have it working correctly know. Your help was very much appreciated. I think that i am going to purchase one more switch for the x axis to help sqaure the machine across the y axis.