Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:28:40 PM

Author Topic: Vital Reboot/Blue screen of death  (Read 5025 times)

Vital Reboot/Blue screen of death
« on: April 10, 2013, 01:01:12 PM »
I installed Mach3 R3.043.066 on a XP machine. I clicked "Finish" on the last set up screen where it said something like "Installation Completed successfully, Reboot" The machine rebooted and as I ran the program I got "the blue screen of death" stating a problem with a driver. I removed the program, Mach3 Directory, all the short cuts and the Mach3 Driver from System Properties / Hardware / Device Manager / Mach3 Pulsing Engine. Installed the program again and didn't get the reboot warning and rebooted anyway. I still have the Blue Screen Of Death. Is there something I didn't remove? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks, Tony

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Vital Reboot/Blue screen of death
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 01:21:08 PM »
The computer only needs to reboot on the very first install of the driver so it looks like it saw the driver had installed the first time and thus didnt ask you to  reboot subsequently.
 Close Mach and run the drivertest and see if you get a problem, sounds like you have something on your computer that is conflicting with it.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 01:50:49 PM »
Thanks Hood,

The DriverTest fails (blue screen) as the test takes over. IF the driver, program and all references to it were removed shouldn't a new install think it was the first?

If I remove the driver I still get the same blue screen at the same point in DirverTest. ???? At some point I may try a System Restore to an earlier time as a work around.
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 02:12:04 PM »
I removed everything again and tried to install the program in Safe Mode. When the driver install program ran I got a Driver Test message "No Driver sensed installed. Run Driver Test" When I run DriverTest in Safe Mode I get the same message. In normal mode it fails.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 03:15:53 PM »
I think you have something on the computer that is interfering with the driver, could even be a corrupt windows install, is it a new computer?
Hood
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 04:06:00 PM »
It's an old hand-me-down with some pretty good specs. I've been weeding hundreds of junk programs out of it and may have deleted some system files. I guess I'll format the hard drive and start over with either XP or W2000. Mach runs really nicely on W2000. I won't need much else on the machine. Thanks for the help.

Tony

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 05:49:06 PM »
I always start off with a clean install of the operating system. On an older system that has had all sorts on it there is a good chance there will be something that could screw things up, especially when using the parallel port. Could even be a printer was installed at one time and then deleted and something is still waiting to be printed or even some other programme that is trying to access that deleted printer via the port.
Hood
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 04:08:11 PM »
Thanks Hood. The clean install of XP did the trick.

Tony

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 04:52:16 PM »
Good news :)
Hood

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 07:03:02 PM »
It's an old hand-me-down with some pretty good specs. I've been weeding hundreds of junk programs out of it and may have deleted some system files. I guess I'll format the hard drive and start over with either XP or W2000. Mach runs really nicely on W2000.

BSD suggests you had deleted some system files OR had deleted something without updating the Registry.
A lesser possibility is that there was a virus or rootkit in there, deleted by the wipe and clean install.

Cheers