Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:26:05 AM

Author Topic: Anyone used vLite to cut XP to the essentials for Mach3?  (Read 2193 times)

Anyone used vLite to cut XP to the essentials for Mach3?
« on: April 09, 2013, 04:12:24 AM »
I've used vLite to remove unessential components of Windows XP for doing customized install CDs. I take out drivers that'll never be needed, remove services that won't ever be used and other parts and pieces that in a given situation will do nothing but fill up storage space. vLite can also integrate all the specific hardware drivers for a PC, slipstream Service Packs and (with some work) add in every update from Windows Update and automatically enter the product key so that once booted off the install CD-R the user doesn't have to do anything but go through the activation after it's done installing. If you start with an OEM system and matching XP version it doesn't even have to do that.

I'm figuring on picking up a decent older box off a local thrift store's $20 rack. They're tested to power on and at least attempt to boot. Most of them have the drives erased but if it has a COA label on the case it's all legal and stuff. ;-)

What I'd like to know is what components of XP are absolutely essential for Mach3 to operate? Does it require any specific post-SP3 updates?

I've 30 years experience with PCs and other computers so there's no problems with the hardware etc, just wanting to know what I *must* keep in the lightened XP. I want to have it so if anything goes worng, just pop the CD in and reinstall to a system ready to reinstall Mach3.
Re: Anyone used vLite to cut XP to the essentials for Mach3?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 06:34:17 AM »
i am trying a version of xp called xplite . using a 600 mhz  fanless microatx motherboard with 512 ram and onboard video. 4g compact flash for the hard drive.nothing else is installed  except mach3.page filing is disabled. so far is running stable. the driver test readis excellent.  not using the pport. using the smoothstepper.