Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:29:03 PM

Author Topic: Gecko G540 and mach 3  (Read 2539 times)

Gecko G540 and mach 3
« on: April 01, 2013, 05:54:52 PM »
Hello

I use a G540 drive to control XYZ precision stages. I have a variable power supply ranging from 0-60V and 0-3 A.
I used to set the voltage at around 20V and current used to automatically get set at 0.2A.
With this configuration i was able to use mach 3 and get good control over all the three axes.

But recently when i tried to control an axis, the power supply started to vary by itself with the voltage dropping and current increasing.
The voltage drops to around 11 V and current increases to around 1.2A. The stepper motor starts to whir intermittently and there is no movement of the axis.
I tried with another variable power supply and i had the same thing happening.

I am not sure what the problem is since i got the same thing with two different power supplies and all axes individually.
Does it have to do with the circuit? I checked for any short circuits and everything seems to be fine.
Can it be the cables? Do i need to re solder the power cable?
Any suggestions or ideas is greatly appreciated.

Thanks  :)
Re: Gecko G540 and mach 3
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 09:57:09 AM »
What are the specs on the motors?  Voltage, current and inductance?

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
Re: Gecko G540 and mach 3
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 01:44:26 PM »
You will need much more than 200mA to drive a stepper motor, and likely more than 3A to drive all three. Just get yourself a good, fixed voltage power supply and that should take care of your issue: http://www.soigeneris.com/meanwell_sp_320_power_supply-details.aspx (my website). NOTE: the G540 has an internal very fast blowing 7A fuse, you do not need more than a 7A supply for it.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt