Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 03:36:56 AM

Author Topic: Mach 3 through Flashcut Box... A little guidance please....  (Read 5692 times)

Mach 3 through Flashcut Box... A little guidance please....
« on: March 31, 2013, 06:55:21 PM »
Im new to the CNC scene and I am still learning.... im not to up on all of the acronyms so keep that in mind as you read my post...

I have been using FlashCut version 1 on my plasma table and obviously was due for an upgrade, and after reading how great Mach 3 was I made the purchase.

So, I am now at the point where the program loads on to my computer and I can see the part being run in Mach 3 (on the display) and now I need to configure the ports.

So, I have the printer port and then another port... the printer port is bigger than the end of the cord coming out of the FlashCut box... (wow, this guys seems slow at this computer stuff Right?.... I warned you) Is there a connector I can buy to resolve this or can I use that other connector?

I have a lot of the paperwork from the FlashCut and it has pins and all kinds of stuff in it, I have been reading it and trying to understand it...

Here is a pic of my beast of a machine! and my last messing around project... (with FlashCut of course)

Thanks ahead of time for the replys... I will be back... IM SURE...

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Mach 3 through Flashcut Box... A little guidance please....
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 08:30:11 PM »
You cannot run MACh3 with the FLASHCUT control box. They are NOT compatible.

You would have to strip out the motion control electronics in the Flashcut box and wire directly to their drivers.

IF it were me I would run the Flashcut system until it died.

Just a thought, (;-) TP
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 08:59:29 PM »
You cannot run MACh3 with the FLASHCUT control box. They are NOT compatible.

You would have to strip out the motion control electronics in the Flashcut box and wire directly to their drivers.

IF it were me I would run the Flashcut system until it died.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

Dang, maybe I should just upgrade to the newest version and boxes for FlashCut...

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 09:27:20 PM »
What version of Flashcut are you running ? IF it does the job why update??

(;-) TP
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 09:35:36 PM »
What version of Flashcut are you running ? IF it does the job why update??

(;-) TP

It really isn't doing the job, the first version is the one I have... it frequently cuts the outsides and then the insides

I find myself editing G code more than using it.

The display screen has 2 modes, entire table or part and for my big projects I can't really see the details.
!
I bundled Mach3 in my purchase thinking it would be good to learn for when I convert a Bridgeport one day.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 09:54:09 PM »
SOunds like you need a decent CAM to go with it. For plasma I use SheetCam.

You face the same problem in MACH3 with screens you get part or table display.

Just get a larger screen.  OR learn to trust your Cam to produce the correct cuts in the correct order. Most times THAT is the operators job setting up the cuts in the correct order(;-).

Just a thought, (;-)TP

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 09:55:23 PM »

Just get a larger screen.  OR learn to trust your Cam to produce the correct cuts in the correct order. Most times THAT is the operators job setting up the cuts in the correct order(;-).

Just a thought, (;-)TP

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 10:00:55 PM »
True. I have sheetcam... I'll try loading pure g case into flash cut and see how that works...
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 08:35:48 PM »

Just a thought, (;-)TP

Well, tonight I have solved all my issues... well most of them...

I watched a tutorial for SheetCam on YouTube and figured that out, used the post processer to generate G code and then I loaded the G code directly into FlashCut.... BAM... Perfect cutting speed (60 IPM according to the Hyperthem Manual) and I am in business! 

Funny how the answer was so simple, I didnt need to upgrade my boxes or programs, I just needed to use what I already had... back to basics.

A big thanks to BR549 for turning the light bulb on for me last night! If your ever up in Michigan the beer is on me!

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 08:48:17 PM »
The old addage  "If it ain't broke don't fix it" (;-)

Besides FlashCut is a nice system that works well.

(;-0 TP