Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:54:38 AM

Author Topic: Tool Offsets  (Read 2833 times)

Tool Offsets
« on: March 25, 2013, 04:13:49 AM »
Hi guys, I am trying to get "Tool Offsets" to work under the G55 command.
I have created a tool in the tool list and saved it. However when i go to the "Offsets" page and turn it on, only the tool length changes on the DRO. NOT the diameter!... Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Thanks.
Re: Tool Offsets
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 03:21:38 AM »
WOW 33 views and no answer!!! Was it that stupid a question ?  ;)
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 09:07:09 AM »
Perhaps because the question doesn't really make sense.  G55 has nothing to do with tool offsets.  Tool diameter offsets are controlled by G40, G41 and G42.  Tool length offsets are controlled by G43 and G49.  G55 is one of many fixture offsets.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 12:41:27 AM »
Why does it NOT make sense. All I am saying is I have a G55 fixture command evoked..  whilst I am also trying to get the Tool Offset to work.

Ok forget the G55 command.... I will put it another way;

Why doesn't the diamater of the tool change when I press the Tool Offset button. The tool LENGTH changes but not the diamater.

Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks in advance.
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 01:02:56 AM »
The fact that you're using G55 is irrelevent - G55 has no relation to tool diameter offsets.  To apply tool diameter offsets, you must have G40/G41/G42 in your G-code.  It is not a "global" setting that you can turn on and off with a button like length offsets - it has to be applied to specific moves in the G-code, and there are a number of rules about how it must be used.  You'll need to find a book or online article that explains how to use it - it's non-trivial to use it correctly.  Better still, use CAM to generate your G-code, and let the CAM software do the heavy lifting for you.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.