Hello Guest it is March 18, 2024, 10:55:56 PM

Author Topic: M5 turning off coolant and STILL M codes firing in simulation  (Read 4007 times)

Hi guys,

I have found a strange issue I can't seem to make headway on by my self. When it is time for a tool change I call an M5 to stop the spindle but have found that this call is turning off my dust extractor output (M8 – not really coolant I know but seemed like a good idea at the time of setting up the cnc )

I have tried the following:

dust extractor to be activated by M8/M9 on output number 1 - when the program hits a M5 call the dust extractor output turns off after the dwell
dust extractor to be activated by M888/M999 (basic output on and off scripts)  and output number 1 - when the program hits a M5 call the dust extractor output turns off after the dwell
dust extractor to be activated by M888/M999 (basic output on and off scripts)  and output number 20 – This works as expected and stays on after an M5 call.

The last option is my back up solution but I am interested seeing if I can get M8 and M9 to work.

I have looked at the M5 macro and it is just a stopspin call, has mach3 got some built in coolant off with tool spin down feature?

I have also attached my XML file as I still cannot get mach3 to ignore my M codes while simulating. I have the box in general config ticked but still my dust hood and extractors outputs fire during simulation ( I have made custom vb buttons to turn my control offline to stop this issue but feel this is a poor long term solution)

Best Regards
Krishna Khatri-Chetri | CNC Sales Support
W & R Jack Ltd |  19 Allens Road East Tamaki |Office: 09 271 7700 | DDI: 09 271 7731 |  Mobile: 021 825566 | www.jacks.co.nz | Find Us
 Please protect the environment - don't print this e-mail unless you really need to

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: M5 turning off coolant and STILL M codes firing in simulation
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 10:52:44 PM »
The xml I just downloaded that you posted has nothing set up for M8 or M9, you have them disabled.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 11:00:40 PM »
AND if you just uncheck the option then you have the SAME ouputs for M3 and M8 output #2 SO yes if you turn OFF the M3 then you turn OF the M8 as well.

Just a thought, (;-)TP
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 11:43:01 PM »
sorry that was not the best xml to send as that was after I found a work around.

I have set it back up to how it was while turning the extractor on using M8/M9 and then saved the xml 

Back in this setup (m8/m9) when the dust extractor running, the spindle stopped and then an M5 call from MDI and the extractor stays on. Do the same with the spindle and extractor running and the extractor will turn off when the dwell is finished. Could it be linked to the dwell?

TP - I had turned off the output for output 1 in ports and pins and setup output 20 to have its port 1 pin 1 numbers so I don’t think it’s a conflict here. I have double checked and only have port 1 and pin 1 assigned once. I cannot seem to find where to assign M3 ( i was assuming that was under ports and pins - motor outputs - spindle - dir port and pin numbers ( at the moment set to 0 as I do not use ccw on my router)

would someone mind running a simulated program and see if the dust extractor output triggers (just a very brief flash on for me here). I have a work around for now but would rather track down why things are turning on when they should not!

Thanks a bunch for having a look!
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 11:43:32 PM »
and the xml....

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 09:26:25 AM »
OK, even though you have the spindle relays disabled I had to change the output number to one that is 1-6 that you arent useing. I asigned output 2 to CW, CCW and mist and its working fine here now.  The problem was haveing the same output assigned to CCW and flood.  Change you settings to match these and you should be good.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 08:41:15 PM »
Many thanks for helping me sort that issue out with the dust extractor turning off.

I can confirm that it was having the disabled CCW and CW set to the same output as my dust extractor that was the issue.

Anyone had a chance to test if they see a short firing of output 1 (M8) and other Mcodes while simulating a program with this MXL ?