Hello Guest it is April 26, 2024, 04:45:13 AM

Author Topic: reversing "A" axis rotation on toolpath display?  (Read 31863 times)

Offline Greolt

•  956 956
    • View Profile
Re: reversing "A" axis rotation on toolpath display?
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2013, 01:24:22 AM »
Yes, it does. But at the same time, the physical rotation of the A axis is running opposite of the RH rule.

Well if you want the rotary to follow convention, always my preference, then you need to reverse the axis direction so that it DOES rotate according to the RH rule.

This is done by toggling the "reverse" check box in the homing menu.  But you know that already.

Greolt
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2013, 12:09:14 PM »

When on the tab fly out, which has on screen jog buttons, I press "4+" button and the A axis DRO increases as expected. 

Does yours not do this?
Yes, it does. But at the same time, the physical rotation of the A axis is running opposite of the RH rule.

Greg, I'm running Mach3 unattached to a machine so reversing the outputs seems to have no effect.
Only looking at the Toolpath display. Stock screen. I'm picturing this on my knee mill in my mind.
I assume I am just seeing the convention built into Mach.
Are you saying that if you hit 4+ on your standard flyout (no screenset mods) the upper surface of the job moves towards you ?
Mine doesn't.   How and where would I change this ?
4+ the A DRO counts UP+
4+ the UPPER SURFACE of the job is moving AWAY from the operator. Opposite of the RH rule.
UNLESS ... A+ is actually referring to the direction of the tool in relation to the surface as in a linear axis like Terry says, THEN it all adds up and is conventional as it is.

All of the jobs I've produced for the Wrapper have the origin at the lower left corner and all Wrapper moves are A-. They all look good running in simulation, just as planned .......... I think ::)
Thanks,
Russ
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2013, 12:25:54 PM »
From the above post........to clarify.

Are you saying that if you hit 4+ on your standard flyout (no screenset mods) the upper surface of the job moves towards you ?.....while looking at the Mach3 Toolpath display on the screen ?
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2013, 12:55:16 PM »
OK, back to the beginning, considering Brett's RULE post and other research and comments, I've come to the conclusion that the WORK never moves ... the TOOL always moves, regardless of the axis "type". ALL direction references are referring to the TOOL moving.
This is how Mach3 displays it, perfectly. :)
Like you said Greg, it can be configured to work either way, but I am inclined to kindly agree to disagree with your perception of conventional.
That's my story ..... and I'm stickin' to it.  ;)

Thank you Greg, and others, for a great discussion.
Respectfully,
Russ
 :)

Offline Greolt

•  956 956
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2013, 05:45:02 PM »
You're too gracious Russ.

I should have heeded my own advise and left it alone some half dozen posts ago.  :D

Greolt