Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:32:13 PM

Author Topic: Panasonic servo drive help  (Read 89382 times)

Offline rwf71

•  126 126
    • View Profile
Re: Panasonic servo drive help
« Reply #110 on: April 01, 2013, 03:34:51 AM »
Hello Hood,
     I took a vacation day for tomorrow (today) so I would have a 4 day weekend, so I'm burning a little midnite oil working on the last encoder cable. ;D Well If you got bye without fixing your drive I think I'm going to just let it ride for the time being, just hope it doesn't cause reliability issues later, I guess if it does I'll deal with it then. Soon as I finish the encoder cables the line driver is next. ;D ;D Then I get to make cables for the signal input to drive. ::) I will be happy to see these cables done so I can move on, this isn't the most enjoyable part of the build I must say. ::)

Rick

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 01, 2013, 03:43:55 AM »
You could always get a backshell that uses the clips rather than the screws, assuming of course your drives connector supports the clip type shell. I think it would as I dont think I have seen a mini centronics on a servo drive that doesnt but then again I have only seen a few drives with them.
Hood

Offline rwf71

•  126 126
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 01, 2013, 04:34:46 AM »
I'll keep that in mind if it gives me trouble, most of the Fanuc drives I swap out at work use the clip type shells. Do you know if the "guts" from the one I have will fit in a clip shell? Sure would be nice to skip the soldering. ::)
     The good news for me is, drum roll, the encoder cables are done!! I just installed and tested the last one. ;D 3:30 am here, Think I'll call it a night for now.

Later, Rick

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 01, 2013, 05:45:03 AM »
Yes the shells fit on the connectors no problem :)

Hood

Offline rwf71

•  126 126
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 04, 2013, 06:08:45 PM »
Well I thought I'd post a progress update. Last Friday I received the Scorpion differential output board, after talking it over with the manufacturer I decided it should get a hillbilly reconfiguration to better match the rest of the system the hillbilly put together. ::) When I got it the input was by ribbon cable which was a little short for how I plan to use it , plus all those wires "stuck" together and the same color wasn't very easy on the old half blind man.
Scorpion as received ;

Scorpion after hillbilly rework ;

I didn't have the connectors for the outputs so I removed the headers and soldered my output wires directly to the board, manufacturer said that was OK. ;D I'm currently attempting to construct a 3 axis machine but am already dreaming of a rotary 4th axis so I took care of in/out for A axis as well. ;)
    I double continuity checked everything over and it checks like I intended it to, now time will tell if my intentions were correct. ::) I think I'm ready to begin a temp installation to see if it works. At this time I only have one of the drives inputs jumpered properly to get it to run motor self tuning routine so I'm going to see if the Scorpion gets the motor jogging cw & ccw as it should, I was getting cw in both jog directions as it is now. If this part works out I will be looking into a proper rewire of all 3 drive input cables.
    As part of the input rework I want to use the alarm out from drives to operate a relay with contacts in the Mach E-stop circuit so a servo alarm will trigger an E-stop in Mach & stop all motion. It was suggested by Hood to also have the relay cut drives directly just in case Mach drops the ball or doesn't catch it quick enough. I think that is a great idea as I'm a belt & suspenders kinda guy for safety. But I do have a question, I have a drive input for "servo on" and also a input for "inhibit", Any thoughts or suggestions as to which one of these inputs would be best to have the alarm relay cut (servo on) or activate (inhibit)?

Waiting for your much appreciated input,     Rick

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 04, 2013, 06:27:59 PM »
I would think if you used the inhibits it would do as you want, the only thing would be the servo drives power stage  would still be enabled but it should stop failry fast even if Mach/CSMIO doesnt stop things. I would imagine there will be deceleration settings in the drive for the inhibits but maybe not.

Boards looking good :) You going to mount it with the holes? They were originally for the DB25 connector but are not being used now so should be a reasonable place to mount with standoffs.
Hood

Offline rwf71

•  126 126
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 04, 2013, 07:00:50 PM »
You going to mount it with the holes? They were originally for the DB25 connector but are not being used now so should be a reasonable place to mount with standoffs.
Hood

Good day Hood,
    Yes I thought the db25 holes would be a good place for the standoffs as well, glad you approve. I couldn't decide between the servo on deactivate or the inhibit activate, I will take your advice to activate the Inhibit. I still have a little research and experimenting to do on the relay and how to implement it, drives say 50 Ma max draw on alarm out. I have a "ice cube" relay that specs coil at 36 Ma so could probally safely use drive to operate it directly,I have the proper diode to reverse bias across coil to shunt emf. But I have been looking into using a transistor as a switch, let drive trigger transistor and transistor carry/switch coil current. As I've said I'm NOT an electronics guy but I'm interested  and want to learn, have been reading about the transistor as a switch deal and may do some bench testing just for the experience and education. I've always wanted to know more about electronics and I have a large box full of old boards I've saved just for harvesting parts. If I let some of the magic smoke out ,no biggie. ;D
         Rick

Offline rwf71

•  126 126
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 04, 2013, 09:01:40 PM »
DAMNIT !!
    I just made the temp install of the Scorpion, Good news ; I now have the single ended outputs from the BOB feeding the driver board inputs, differential outputs from driver board going to servo drive inputs, NO SMOKE and it works. BAD NEWS; works the same as before, motor cw rotation in BOTH jogging directions. :'( WTF !!! I read the servo manual AND Mach manual last week, tried changing a couple drive parameters, same results, changed them back. There is something I don't see or understand somewhere, starting to pi** me off! I wanna see these motors rotate both ways when jogging different directions but just can't get it to happen :-[ I guess I need to read some more but not now , too damn mad.
   Rick

Offline rwf71

•  126 126
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 04, 2013, 09:21:51 PM »
OK, thinking about it some more. You guys are Mach 3 experts, if a Mach setting could cause this you would have seen it before and told me where to look or what to check. Gotta be a parameter, but between the goofy wording in the translation of manual and my inexperience at setting up servo drives I just aint seeing it yet. :(
            Rick
« Reply #119 on: April 04, 2013, 10:14:55 PM »
Parameters:
28=0
29=3
Just to verify, is this what you have set ?

Russ