Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:52:19 AM

Author Topic: Panasonic servo drive help  (Read 89345 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Panasonic servo drive help
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 02:02:23 PM »
Ok on the breakout board, do you supply 24V at the connector beside the parallel port connection?
If you do then can you check that the connection that says 24v over to the right top is outputting 24v.

I think it should be.
Hood

Offline rwf71

•  126 126
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 02:24:49 PM »
Yes Hood, the output from my 24 vdc power supply is connected to BOB at connector next to the parallel cable connector. I have used my VOM to check powersupply output at the BOB, 24 vdc as it should be. When I check between 24v & GND at connection from BOB to cable CN I/F it's 21.4 vdc (BOB must be regulating it down?). Anyway the way I read it the drive should be happy anywhere between 12 & 24 vdc so I didn't think that was a problem.BTW when I check between 24v & GND at axis connection point the polarity is correct even though the BOB instructions say polarity doesn't matter at the input point.
              Rick

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2013, 02:36:45 PM »
Ok the instruction sheet you got sent seems to say the 24v should go to pin 12 on CN1 but the drive manual seems to say pin 11 is your 24v input for the drives I/O, also pin 28 is the 0v of the I/Os power.
It would also suggest that you need pin 12 taken via a switch(or just jumpered) to pin 28 and also pins 30 and 31 look like they need to be connected to 28 as well. Or at least it looks like if they are open the inhibits for CW and CCW are in effect.

See pic.

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2013, 02:39:00 PM »
Oh also pin 9 looks like it may need connected to 28 as well as it seems to say if its open the drive is inhibited.
Hood

Offline rwf71

•  126 126
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2013, 03:12:44 PM »
Well Hood,
    Even though I didn't get this stuff to work on my own I am getting some satisfaction in the fact that you seem to be seeing some of the same problems I did. I do have the 12v connected to pin 12 because that's the way I read the supplied instructions as well.The first thing tried was to jumper 28-29-30 while leaving the other wiring as per the supplied instructions,nothing happened good or bad (at least not that I know of). When that didn't work I removed the jumpers and the next thing I tried was feeding 24 vdc to 28 & 11 (11+  28-) while leaving the other wiring as per the supplied instructions,still nothing good or bad (I hope). That's all the farther I wanted to experiment on my own for fear of cooking something I had to save my pennies up for a long time to get in the first place. That's when I came to the Mach support forum looking for help.Have I mentioned I REALLY APPRECIATE your help? Well I sure enough do Hood. I'm thinking it's time to pitch the worthless supplied instructions & redo things how you suggest if you'd be so kind,PLEASE
       Thank You,   Rick

Offline rwf71

•  126 126
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2013, 03:17:51 PM »
I just noticed an error in my last post, I have the 24v connected to pin 12 (not 12v as I stated in previous post).
               Rick

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2013, 03:25:48 PM »
Ok according to the manual
24+ should go to pin 11
24V - should go to pin 28

Now Pin 12 is the enable for the drive, it should really connect via a switch to Pin 28 or an output from Mach. The output from Mach would likely require you to have a relay so we will not go into that at the moment. So you connect pin 12 to pin 28, either via a latching switch or you could just connect direct for the time being.

Pin 9, 29 and 30 are inhibit, Clockwise limit and anticlockwise limits so you need them connected to pin 28 also.

Your step/Dir you need to connect as in the diagram you were given. Ideally the drive is looking for differential signals but your breakout only supplies single ended signals so hopefully it will work as per the diagram.

You will not get mush velocity in Mach from this setup unless you use electronic gearing in the drive, I have not looked how to do that yet so we will cross that bridge later.

Your steps per unit in Mach will depend whether you have gearing between motor and screw and also the pitch of the screw and lastly whether you are using metric or imperial native units.

Hood

Offline rwf71

•  126 126
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2013, 04:13:29 PM »
OK Hood,
    It's official, YOUR MY HERO BUDDY !! Sorry, couldn't help myself. ;D At this point I'm happy that all my problems weren't of my own making. With all the help you've offered today I'm now at a point where I have work to do REDOING the CN I/F cables from BOB to drives. That's going to take awhile, hope I can still get by with the cabling I have, it's shielded 3 TP (6 conductors + shield). Soldering these cables is a pain for an old guy with not so great eyes anymore & arthritic hands. Also the machine itself is half done at best so even if the motors were ready to go I don't have a machine ready for them yet.
    I was practicing my manual machining skills on building the machine itself until winter came to Iowa.When it did it's just too cold for working out in my homeshop & the shop is too drafty and uninsulated to heat in winter(I just can't afford it). So Christmas eve was my last day in the shop till winter is over. Christmas day I moved my focus to the basement of my house where I decided to start work on the computer & electronics end of the project. It's getting close to spring here (still had snow last week though). I'm hoping to have motors jogging under Mach control before going back to the shop in spring to finish the machine.
    I'm thinking I will try to post some pics of my control system mock-up and maybe some of what I have done machine building wise before I disappear for awhile so you can see I really am trying to work toward having my own DIY cnc at home. When & if I do disappear for a while please don't think your much appreciated efforts today were a waste of your time, I will follow your suggestions on wiring connector CN I/F and report back here on my progress.
    Thank You Very Much Hood(& Dickeybird),   Rick

P.S. I'm still not going to badmouth the e-bay seller till I have this set-up working but BUYER  BEWARE if he says instructions and block diagram for Mach 3 included!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2013, 04:18:39 PM »
He also says in the document that you should not take it at face value and should consult the drive manual so he has covered his arse nicely ;D

Hope you get it going :)
Hood

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2013, 04:37:37 PM »
 ;D

I wrote Hood in for president last election!  Now you know why Rick.  :) 

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!