Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 12:54:42 AM

Author Topic: Needing help to get set up  (Read 9179 times)

Offline Zilna

•  11 11
    • View Profile
Needing help to get set up
« on: March 15, 2013, 07:01:02 PM »
I have a C10 BOB with kl-4030 stepper drive and kl23h286-20-8b motors. The only power to the BOB is from my computer's parallel port as stated in the tutorial (I have tried it with the 5v power supply as well and no difference). I have wired the motors up matching the wires (wht/blue and blue) according to a wiring diagram that I found online for this motor. Wht/Blu and Blue to A+, Wht/Red and Red to A-, Wht/Grn and Grn to B+, and Wht/Blk and Blk to B-. I can still turn the motors. The switches on the stepper drive are set for 1/8 and 2.7v. I have gone through the settings in Mach3 according to the tutorial and still cannot get a single motor to move. Been racking our brains over this for 3 days now and am now just beyond frustrated. I know that some times the simplest solutions can make all the difference but I am out of ideas on how to make this work.

Offline Zilna

•  11 11
    • View Profile
Re: Needing help to get set up
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 09:19:25 PM »
Update ... found yet another wiring diagram, this one with actual wording on it and the wires were wrong from the stepper drive to the motor. Wired it up with white stripes on the positives and solids on the negatives (red and blue on A and green and black on B) and now the motor cannot be turned by hand. Still cannot get Mach3 to actually move the motors tho.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 09:21:53 PM »
Are you getting the signals our of your parallel port?  What Operateing system are you running?  If your useing a parallel port, how does the driver test look?

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline Zilna

•  11 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 09:27:16 PM »
Am running Windows 7 32-bit; yeah I found out all about the 64 bit after the first day of racking my brain lol. The driver test actually worked with the 32-bit stating that it is excellent. Not on the actual pc right now that is connected to the machine so no exact numbers to offer right now. How do you check for signals coming out of the parallel port? I can say that I am getting 8 pins lit up on the diagnostics screen if that helps.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 09:38:39 PM »
Do you have a DVOM?

Brett

Offline Zilna

•  11 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 07:41:44 AM »
Yes. 4.7v from the PC. At B- almost 20v, 17.99 at B+, 1.99 at A+, and 2.02 at A-. I "thought" that I should be getting less at B than A so not sure what is going on.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 08:42:26 AM »
Where is this B+ and B- coming from?  I'm assuming you are meaning these are to the motor from the drive or to the drive from the stepper power supply?  If your getting those voltages out of your parallel port, you definatley need to trace some wires out.  I suggest you unplug your cable at the C10 and check your signals at the cable on the end you just unplugged.  The cable needs to be a straight thru.  pin for pin on each end....... pin1, pin 1 pin2, pin2 etc.  Some cables are not wired like this.

Brett

Offline Zilna

•  11 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 01:28:27 PM »
Ok, the voltage readings from the parallel port are just shy of 5v. The voltages that I gave are from the stepper drive to the motor. Sorry if I am not being very detailed, wiring is not my specialty.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 03:27:27 PM »
No problem, if you have everything set up correctly in Mach then you have to figure out where you are looseing the signals.  The db 25 connector should have numbers on it that show what number each pin is.  It's easier to check the direction pins than the step because the step are usually pulsing so fast (this will be seen similar to a PWM signal but the voltage will most likely vary only slightly from inactive to active), the direction will stay active until the direction is changed.  You can start at either end you want.  At the drive or at the parallel port, but you need to find out where the signal is being lost at and if your PC is in fact sending the signals in the first place.  Did you check the cable to see if it is a straight thru?

Brett 

Offline Zilna

•  11 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 04:56:22 PM »
Yes, we checked the cable yesterday and it is a straight through. It's a brand new cable and parallel port which according to the device manager the port is functioning properly. If I actually owned a parallel printer I would hook it up and test it out but mine is wireless. Tell me something, in Mach3 on the diagnostics screen should all of the pins be lit up green?