Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:52:30 AM

Author Topic: Which OS to go with?  (Read 6813 times)

Which OS to go with?
« on: October 15, 2013, 01:52:54 PM »
Good day everyone. I recently bought a Shopmaster Bridgemill which was set up for cnc (4 axis) using servo motors and the servo system from Camtronics. It was using Mach 3 on Windows 2000 and was operational with the only glitches being with the 4th axis. I am in the process to get the system operational again. I will be using a different computer which currently has Windows 7 32 bit installed on it. I understand that Mach 3 should run on the 32 bit version as well as XP. My question is: Seeing that this set up was running on Windows 2000, what operating system would you recommend to run it, XP or 7 32 bit? Another option would be to use windows 7 and add the XP mode. I bought a used computer with 7 on it and intended to switch it over to XP, but I discovered it is a 7 32 bit system and from what I have read it should work. Which set up will work best for Mach 3 and the Camtronics servo system? Thanks.
Re: Which OS to go with?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 09:21:52 AM »
The only real reason to go for newer oprating systems is if the older one won't cope.
Given that a PC running Mach doesn't need internet access, and so only needs text files transferring to it, and thus doesn't need exposing to/protecting from security threats (if you do things sensibly) just run what works best for you.
I'm running XP on an 8 year old HP desktop (about to upgrade to XP on a 5 year old HP desktop with dual parallel) and don't have any issues with running a 4-Axis machine,
Regards,
Nick
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 11:07:33 AM »
Thank you for the reply. I am initially trying Windows 7 32 bit as some say it will work even without the vista patch. I am not operational at this point. Mach 3 makes a test move on screen but the mill does not respond. I do not believe the configuration settings are correct. I was missing the Camtronics shopservexml file so nothing was set. I contacted Camtronics and all I was given was the motor pin numbers. The previous owner found the original disk and is sending it, maybe that will help. I need the motor pin numbers, inputs, outputs, encoder and mpg's settings... IDK, not sure what all I exactly need to set up the Mach 3 settings to match the Camtronics controller on a Shopmaster Bridgemill 3 in 1. I will keep reading and learning...

Offline ofg

•  29 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 12:34:52 AM »
Im currently running mach3 in windows 8 64 bit through a uc100 usb adapter,, to a gecko 540. No problems.
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 04:17:09 AM »
Here is how my system played out. As I said, Mach 3 was operating on the screen but the Shopmaster would not move. I emailed Dan @ Camtronics and he gave me more detailed pin settings to confirm. Same results. He then told me how to trouble shoot the controller. When I would move the power switch to energize, X and A would dither but Y would pulse and move with each pulse. (Z was not hooked up) The servos would lock but would not stay locked when the switch was released to the on position. Popping the cover on the Camtronics controller allows one to see the indicator lights on the Gecko relays for each circuit. They all showed red when powered up but Y and Z stayed red when energized showing a fault in those two circuits. (again, Z is not hooked up). Further inspection showed that I had the power wires (+ &-) switched on the Y servo. That servo had to be removed for shipping and when I installed the motor I miss took a very dark maroon for black and assumed that terminal was ground. Once I switched the wires the whole system worked like a charm. Many thanks to Dan at Camtronics for giving the support needed to a newbie to get setup issues solved. I read many threads on this site and others, each giving a little more knowledge but never quite solving my problem. I hope this will help someone else with set up issues. The Windows 7 32 bit works with out the vista patch. I wanted to use Windows 7 because it is what I have on my other computers. The CNC computer is also used as an online computer in my shop. It is just easier to have the same operating system on all of them.  I used the latest version of Mach 3. Remember to check the basics.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 04:24:39 AM by 00247 »

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 05:20:00 AM »
I am glad that you got it sorted and thanks for posting the info.

I think this "Remember to check the basics" should be the watch words for us all  ;)

Tweakie.
PEACE