Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:46:28 PM

Author Topic: mach 3 help/ machine build?  (Read 3318 times)

mach 3 help/ machine build?
« on: February 17, 2013, 02:36:08 PM »
I have a series 1 bridgeport cnc . I run bobcad on a windows 8 system and am ready to put it all together. only problem i have found though is i am set up w/ a parallel port and according to what i have read a parralel port with mach3 will not work w/ a 64 bit system i will need an external drive. what exactly does that mean, how have some of you figured out to do this and howwould you recommend. i am not exactly sure what they mean by external drive system. Thanks for your help.

Andy
                                                                                                Weatherford, Texas

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: mach 3 help/ machine build?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 11:01:26 PM »
Welcome to the forum Andy, you will need an external motion device if you plan on running a 64 bit system.  Galil, Smooth Stepper, CSMIO, DSPMC and more to choose from I'm sure.  Have a look at the downloads tab, then the plugins page for links.

Brett 
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 12:13:47 AM »
So Brett, i need smoothstepper and cables, what else do i need that i have not thought about to run this on windows 8, just thought i would pick your brain before i pull the trigger- Thanks so much for your help-Andy

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 12:57:05 AM »
Andy, I would do some more checking before I pulled the trigger.  I have not tried it with 8 personally, windows 8 is so new.  But, to answer your question, the Smooth Stepper will give you more IO than 2 Parallell ports would so if the machine is running on PPs, a Smooth Stepper should be all you need.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 09:19:18 AM »
thanks so much Brett
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 03:58:04 PM »
Andy,
You may also want to get a breakout board designed to plugin to the SS.  CNC4PC is a good one to look at.  There may be others, but I like my C25 from CNC4PC.com.

Regards,
John Champlain.