Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:43:37 AM

Author Topic: Triggered limit switches in Mach3  (Read 23071 times)

Re: Triggered limit switches in Mach3
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 08:49:49 PM »
Brett, I am new to mach3. Just downloaded the current mach3 off artsoft site.  And bought license. I have not down anything yet to mach3 except default stuff I guess. I have a 1.34 hp spindle with a emerson ct vfd drive, I would like to control with mach3 by modbus or something.  Maybe on/off, load meter, and maybe a little program to adjust feed rate if load has exceeded a certain perctange. I am also trying to figure out a vacuum hold down system.

Now for the other two axis just put in an input or a specific one? Thanks.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 09:02:01 PM »
I would leave y and z set up as you have them in the xml you posted earlier. 

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 09:12:31 AM »
Brett,

I did go home and change my pin out like you said to try.  It worked for a while but still poped up.  Limit triggered.  I was told by somebody else to try replacing the push button limits to proxs..  What you think?  Right now I turned off the limit switches but still using the home switches.  I guess I could put in a soft limit for table but I still would like something redundant.  Thanks for the help.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 10:48:29 AM »
The type of switch isn't as important as the quality of it.  Either one are susceptible to noise which is what it sounds to me is your problem, noise.  But, if I had my rathers, I would use mechanical switches as part of the e-stop circuit for the limit switches and use prox switches (24VDC) for the home switches.  I am a firm believer in using 24 VDC for everything except step and direction, index signal, probes and MPGs.  This requires more components, money, space, etc.  You can, as many others do all the time, use 5V with great success but you have to be very mindful of noise.  24V has almost 5 times the noise immunity as 5V.  Shielded cables and good wiring practices are the 2 main factors of getting the results you want, good clean consistent and accurate state changes.  Good practices should be followed no matter what the voltage or what your wiring.

Brett    

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 11:43:04 AM »
With your response in mind. What would you recommend me buy to accomplish this.
My work uses automation direct parts but I am replacing stuff all the time. Thanks

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 02:29:57 PM »
What hardware do you have now?  You will likely need something to take the 24 volt signals and convert them to 5 volts.  If thats the case you can find a ton of premade options or make your on.  OPTO 22 is pricey but a pretty slick, robust way of doing it.

Brett