Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:41:18 PM

Author Topic: Mach3 adding extra loops in a string of arcs  (Read 11887 times)

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
Re: Mach3 adding extra loops in a string of arcs
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2013, 11:22:13 AM »
Hi Terry - the reason for my leadin/out cockup was I rebuilt the original curve simply by doing a 1 thou outside offset curve of it in Rhino but like a muppet I forgot to move those (manual) leadins/outs by a thou.  :-[

Had a bit more of a play and of course you're quite right that Mach has an issue with cutter comp and climb milling. However there were a few things I noticed about the dxf. Mainly that there ARE gaps between some segments - small - but there none the less. Also some curves didn't meet other curves or line segments at tangents (not that they should have to) - again very slight deviations but there. Anyway I cleaned up the dxf to address these two "issues" (just the scratch plate profile) and now Mach seems much happier - see enclosed .tap.

That said - as you say - there IS an issue with Mach but maybe this might go some way to explaining why the OP had some drawings that worked and this one that didn't.

Ian

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2013, 01:18:03 PM »
HIYA Ian , Yes I saw the glitches in the DXF but the cam stiched it back together as a contour.

Your code STILL produced glitches in the offset toolpath.(;-)  Notice that the TC path crosses back over the original path to the INSIDE and then crosses back over again to get to the outside.

I can change the code all around and get different reactions from the TC but never does it make it perfect on THIS example. Another different DXF example MAY run just fine.

(;-) TP

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2013, 01:43:50 PM »
oops - missed that one. :o

Don't get me wrong Terry - I'm not disputing anything you've said - I fully eccept that Mach has issues and how. (triggers for example ::)). After the OP said "some" worked "some" didn't all I was doing was just trying to see why that was.

Cheers

Ian

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2013, 01:55:11 PM »
Ian, not a problem I understand(;-)  I have tried for hours now trying to see "IF" I could get it to run correctly(taken as a challenge). The easy way was to reverse the direction of cut(;-)

There were also several other FINE detailed glitches I did not show(;-)

I am still trying different approaches to that contour but I don't expect any other outcome. But being hard headed I carry on testing and throwing rocks at it.(;-)

About like trying to get TC to work with SUB programing a LOST cause.

(;-) TP

« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 01:59:21 PM by BR549 »

Offline Deano

•  15 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2013, 08:54:13 AM »
Thanks for all the intense effort to attempt to get to the bottom of my original problem.  I've been running a number of new pickguard files using Conv. cutting path with no problems.
It's great to know there are so many experienced operators willing to help.
Terry, I can't help calling you "Rainman"  ;D.  Thanks again.
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2013, 10:15:54 AM »
I am not sure if this is your problem, but I ran into an issue where I would do a G41 and then position the cutter with an X,Y move at the same time (as opposed to X, then Y, and it made Mach3 flip out...   

No error code was given, and the DROs kept moving, but my mill jerked to a stop and the stepper motors howled like the table had crashed at the end of travel, but it wasn't even close to a crash.   

I changed the X,Y move to a different spot and re-ran the program and the mill did a big loop to get there (It was supposed to be a G01 move, not an arc)

I then changed it to move X then Y after the G41 and it worked correctly.   I assumed I was just breaking some rule of G-code programming since I'm new at this.

I see you did an X,Y move immediately after G41 on line N0480.