Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:31:06 AM

Author Topic: "Vintage" Screen Set  (Read 19629 times)

"Vintage" Screen Set
« on: February 11, 2013, 11:16:20 AM »
Here is a bare-bones screen set I've been working on. It's loosely based on the physical control panel of an old NC turret punch press I operated some time ago.
The machine originally ran from a punch-card type tape strip and was later upgraded to a DOS based system.

I'm making it for my home-built machine. Because I'm a novice user, it has only one screen with the most basic features.

I'm thinking of adding another screen for a larger tool path view.
Are there any other must-have features you think I might need to add?
I'm currently adding features that use knobs instead of buttons.
Let me know if you have any ideas for other "themed" type layouts, or ways I can add to the novelty of this one.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: "Vintage" Screen Set
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 11:27:43 AM »
Excellent work - I love the 'vintage' theme.  8)

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 11:53:02 AM »
Thanks Tweakie, It's my first attempt. I wanted to do something different from the screen sets I've seen.

I'm using Screen4 and I can't seem to find any good tutorials, so it's been rough going.

I also have Machscreen.
I keep hearing it's better but once again I can't seem to find any good tutorials and it's not at all intuitive  to me.

Links anyone?

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 12:15:12 PM »
Here's an updated screen cap along with the 1024 X 768 set file.

Give it a go when you have time to play. I think I got most of the bugs out.

Offline Pythagoras

•  93 93
  • a² + b² = c²
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 08:38:19 PM »
I love it !!!
Sort of reminds me of Zathura.
nice work !
The Pythagorean theorem: The sum of the areas of the two squares on the legs (a and b) equals the area of the square on the hypotenuse (c).     a² + b² = c².

Offline Pythagoras

•  93 93
  • a² + b² = c²
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 08:43:23 PM »
it would be great if it was possible to have the  DRO readout fonts to look like the old electromechanical rotating digit display !
The Pythagorean theorem: The sum of the areas of the two squares on the legs (a and b) equals the area of the square on the hypotenuse (c).     a² + b² = c².
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 01:43:28 PM »
Thanks Pythagoras
it would be great if it was possible to have the  DRO readout fonts to look like the old electromechanical rotating digit display !

That would be perfect! I wonder if it is possible? Probably not.
Have you tried using this set?
Any feedback is welcome from all.

I've been using it for a few months now. I still have some bugs that I've learned to deal with, but I'd still like to fix.
I need some help, would another thread be more appropriate maybe? anyone?

1. If I press the 'Home' button after using auto tool zero, X and Y go home as they should and their DRO's show the correct coordinates.
I don't have home/limit switches on my Z axis so it stays where auto tool zero told it to go, but the DRO will change to some random number sometime.
This caused me to bury the tool in my work piece a couple of times.

2. When I press load G-Code, about half of the button stays in the pressed position, not always.
I've checked the button graphic and even tried replacing it with another graphic, still the same.

3. I need an ignore tool-change LED

Some more little things I can't think of right now.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 01:52:53 PM by cdballew »

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 02:00:02 PM »
1. If I press the 'Home' button after using auto tool zero, X and Y go home as they should and their DRO's show the correct coordinates.
I don't have home/limit switches on my Z axis so it stays where auto tool zero told it to go, but the DRO will change to some random number sometime.
This caused me to bury the tool in my work piece a couple of times.

When you auto Zero the Z axis, you're setting an offset for the Z axis. This offset is the position relative to machine zero for the Z axis.

Then, when you Home the Z axis, it's setting machine coordinates for the Z axis to 0. If the Z wasn't homed before running the auto zero, then most likely, your Z position will change.
Note that when you home an axis with no home switch, it will set machine zero to the current position of that axis.

The proper procedure should always be to home the machine first, then run the auto zero. Always set the axis to zero prior to running the g-code, as homing after setting zero will most likely change the zero positions.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 02:17:25 PM by ger21 »
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline Pythagoras

•  93 93
  • a² + b² = c²
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 07:52:56 PM »
Thanks Pythagoras
That would be perfect! I wonder if it is possible? Probably not.
Have you tried using this set?
Any feedback is welcome from all.

Maybe there is a VB method, but that is beyond me. I'm sure if the whole screen was made in the flash format that it would be possible to have such rotating digits, but its been years and It would be a struggle to remember.
I wouldn't start a new thread this one would do fine. It creates more interest too.
Sorry I cant be much help these days, I only just checked in to see how people were progressing in the screen design department. (Its another hobby in itself)

« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 07:54:56 PM by Pythagoras »