Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:48:56 AM

Author Topic: Pulsing too fast  (Read 18513 times)

Offline jevs

•  315 315
    • View Profile
Pulsing too fast
« on: February 05, 2013, 10:12:23 PM »
I got the new computer built, loaded the latest Mach3, put in my saved XML, created the proper Icon, loaded in my plugins for pokeys and machmotion. I basically tried to put everything back like it was in the old computer.

When I run the drivers test I get "Pulsing too fast". Kernel speed is 25k.

The computer was built to be dedicated to the mill. I have not actually hooked the computer to my machine yet.

Intel i3 3225
Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H MATX Motherboard
Sandisk Extreme 120 Gig SSD drive
Kingston HyperX Red 4GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL 9 Memory Module
LG 24x Super Multi Internal SATA DVDRW DL Drive
Parallel port PCI card (has one port on board and one that ribbon cables off) - The same card from old computer
PCI wireless network card - The same card from old computer
Windows 7 32-Bit

I did try turning off all services and startups in the msconfig, then rebooted, and that did not change anything.

I am looking for ideas to try next. Sometimes during the test it will say system stable for a bit, then go back to pulsing too fast.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 10:14:33 PM by jevs »

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Pulsing too fast
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 10:26:59 PM »
The PCI wireless network card may cause you trouble in the long run.

Set your Kernal speed to no more than you need based on your axis tuning.

Look for a clean test as far as noise and other operations causing blips.

Just a thought, (;-) TP
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 10:34:18 PM by BR549 »

Offline jevs

•  315 315
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 10:31:50 PM »
Can it be causing me problems now? It did not cause problems in the old computer. It's kind of hard to not have network access and get a computer up and running these days....

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 10:37:29 PM »
IS the OLD pc the one you always had problems with ? (;-) So how did you know the card did not cause problems ??

ANYTHING that can interupt mach3 such as a network card COULD cause a problem at times.  SOme PCs don't have a problem Some do, Why push your luck?  This is a dedicated CNC PC for a machine correct?

(;-)TP

Offline jevs

•  315 315
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 10:48:39 PM »
The problem with the old computer ended up being a bad memory stick (confirmed and narrowed down to which stick with memtest). I could not even reload windows xp until the memory stick was removed, I kept getting page faults, BSOD's etc. Once I removed the mem stick then it loaded up fine again and that computer is working good and for sale. It worked fine with Mach 3 prior to that crash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUccWa_KN5c1AP5Bnqz6yrkg&v=DsizLpAXTns&feature=player_detailpage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=W-0q5uM8jbU&list=UUccWa_KN5c1AP5Bnqz6yrkg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Sjc9--rOPrs&list=UUccWa_KN5c1AP5Bnqz6yrkg

It did not have any issues with the driver tests or anything either. I could not say for sure that the card would not cause something wierd long term as I never cut any big projects, only cut air on a couple simple routines.

Anyway, back to the new computer. I went ahead and disabled that card in the device manager and rebooted. Getting the same issue.

Is it possible the computer I built is too fast and Mach3 does not like it?

Offline jevs

•  315 315
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 12:08:05 AM »
Tried a bunch more stuff and no luck so far. I am going to browse that vista forum. It seems some of that may apply to Win7 also.

I do notice something. When I run the drivertest, the pulses count just climbs up for a second or two then goes back to 0 and displays pulsing too fast. It is like it starts to run and then just stops.

Offline jevs

•  315 315
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 12:15:33 AM »
I messed with this for about 5 hours again tonight with it connected to the machine. It just won't communicate. It is like the pulse stream or communication works for a second then dies. It appears to do the same thing if you just run Mach3 also. I tried all kind of different things in the bios, disabling all unnecessary devices in the hardware settings. I tried setting the printer ports to support legacy PnP, and all the different options for use of interrupts. I tried using msconfig and shutting everything off and rebooted. So far nothing stops this from happening that I can figure out.

I tried the special driver in Mach3 and that did nothing, so I set it back. I tried reloading the mach3 driver. No luck. This is a huge dump of valuable time :(

See video here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS4KVnOhBw4&feature=youtu.be

Offline jevs

•  315 315
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 11:40:02 PM »
I pulled the wireless network card and got the same results. I spent a bunch more time tonight trying various things and finally gave up. I don't think there was anything else to try. Mach support helped me and they had no further ideas either. They said it was the worst drivertest they ever saw LOL. 

I replaced the 32 bit Win7 with 64 Bit Win7 and have everything re-loaded and ready for a smoothstepper. I am just waiting for a paypal invoice for a smoothstepper. Hope this works....

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 01:39:02 AM »
I didn't think Mach was even supposed to run on Win7?

Offline jevs

•  315 315
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 08:32:09 AM »
Yes. It is supposed to work on 32 bit Win 7 with parallel ports. It will work on 64 bit, but not with parallel ports (have to use external motion controller).