Hello Guest it is April 24, 2024, 06:12:31 PM

Author Topic: Wireless USB Modem  (Read 13743 times)

Re: Wireless USB Modem
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2013, 09:38:08 AM »
Currently in trial with a Mobile Hot Spot from USC.
Signal strength = weak
Up to 5 devices @ 150' max.
Working pretty well, even from one building to another (but the speed drops a bit).
Will have to commit to a 2 yr contract soon. Just hope the summer leaves don't mess it up.
Looks like I won't be trying the cantenna or other booster experiments until necessary. (Thanks Rich and Sam).
Might revisit this post then....if necessary.
Thanks again folks !
Cookin' right along now, just have to watch my habits as now I can see all of your cool vids.
Russ

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2013, 12:29:09 PM »
I think I would wait until spring, those leaves could ruin the whole show then you are stuck with a 2 year contract. OR ask for a contract provision that allows you an OUT after spring due to performance issues.

Just a thought.  (;-) TP
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2013, 05:41:49 PM »
I have 4 more days to decide, after that, there is no turning back. I asked about this initially.
We have 2 cell phones. Mine gets a pretty good signal and her's usually will not work. Only difference is the phone mfg. so I'm guessing there is slight differences in the antennas and the signal strength here is marginal. Everyone says "if the phone works, the so should the data".
Another thing, the device was like $300 off for new customers. Now if I cancel, then decide to hook up again when the leaves come out for another trial, I would probably no longer be a new customer but a returning one and would likely have to by the device. (just assuming as they usually work these things to their advantage)
Thanks TP,
Russ

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2013, 06:03:11 AM »
Wish you luck........
RICH