Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:51:15 PM

Author Topic: 95% Completed DIY CNC Build  (Read 3696 times)

Offline Zig

•  28 28
    • View Profile
95% Completed DIY CNC Build
« on: January 09, 2013, 09:54:56 AM »
Most of the machine is completed at this point.  Still need to do some finishing off, wire in some switches and neaten up the whole build.  And now I need to learn how to fly this thing...

A quick YouTube video of the current status.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGYKe11JUVo&list=UU3RIdlSCWn1w0Quh6zm6M1A&index=1

As per usual - I'm always open to suggestions and comments. 

Thanks,
Zig

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: 95% Completed DIY CNC Build
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 01:07:58 PM »
You will start out with about 15 minutes of shear terror as you start the first cut. Then after that runs you will be like a tazmanian devil in a woodchip pile. OR a beaver in a new forest.

Chips will be flying every where. (;-)

Good Job on the build, (;-) TP

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 01:26:36 PM »
I'm actually excited for you! Looks like you're just about there, and yes, stay away from any sort of solid coupler as you will end up with problems (broken shaft on the stepper etc.).

I look forward to your cutting videos!
Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline Zig

•  28 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 03:25:19 PM »
Thanks guys.  It has been fun and challenging working on this project so far.  I actually did get some actual cutting action earlier today.  Sawdust flying, and yes, kinda scary as the machine seemed to be alive.  My bit was too big, the g-code font too small, and my motor speeds were all over the place, but bit did contact wood, and a g-code path was followed, so we're on the right track.  Now the learning really begins on how to make it do what I want it to do.  I'll certainly post more videos as I get some real results out of it.

I've heard others say that computer controlled machines are like an entry drug, you get a little taste and then want more.  I can absolutely see that happening.

Thanks again for all the help on this forum,
Zig

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 03:52:20 PM »
ENTRY DRUG ??? It is WORSE than CRACK (;-)

(;-) TP